Md/MHD with a name (India/Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, etc.)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Gwan, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Does anyone know if Md. before a name has a special meaning in the Indian subcontinent? I came across a book about women in the informal sector in Bangladesh written by 'Md. Golam Mostafa' (Amazon page here), doing some googling, Md before a name seems to be fairly common in academics. For example, I found one Dr. Md. Golam Mostafa Khan (seems to be someone else from the author above), who holds a PhD, MSc and MS in environmental science and chemistry subjects, but no MD. Have come across other references to people with job titles such as 'McDonald's crew member' and 'cleaner' who have Md. in front of their names - of course they may be medical doctors, but it seems unlikely. Is it just a variant of Mr. or does it have a special meaning?

PS sorry for the title, I do realise India and Bangladesh are different countries, brain asleep!
  2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    It's a short form of Muhammad/Mohammad.
  3. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Ah! Thanks, this forum really is a treasure :)
  4. W_G New Member

English (South African/British)
    Thanks for that Copyright. - I'm an editor and receive lots of journals from India, see this abbreviation all the time and until I found your answer here had also assumed it meant 'medical doctor' - you've saved myself and my colleagues some head scratching though !
  5. melozhang New Member

ZJ, China
    Hello, I'm trying to translate a marriage contract and find the "MHD" appears repeatedly in front of several names. I suppose it might be a respectful way to address the people mentioned. Can anyone help to advise what exactly does MHD stand for? Thanks.
  6. dadane Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (London/Essex)
    Do you have an example?
  7. melozhang New Member

ZJ, China

8. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I think I've seen this discussed somewhere before (but not sure'where), but could it be short for Muhamad (or the various versions of its spellng)?
  9. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    It seems from the rest of the names that these people are Moslem. If that's the case, I'm certain that JulianStuart is correct: it's short for Mohammed (or the various versions of its spelling).
  10. melozhang New Member

ZJ, China
    Thanks for all your helps. While i first saw the MHD in the contract, I kinda think it might be Mohammed, but could everyone man of Moslem named Mohammed? That's a little bit weird...
  11. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    It is a very common given name among Muslims, sometimes it's also used as a surname, I've seen names such as Mohammed Mohammed.
  12. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

English - South-East England
    Well it's certainly the most common Arabic name. I've seen this usage in Malaysian names, where it's more often written Mohd than Mhd. Bear in mind also that Arabic names are often multi-part: more than just one forename + one surname, and that in addition they may contain the father's name (preceded by 'bin' or 'ibn', though the names you have listed apparently use the English equivalent 'son of'). It would not be surprising if more than half the male names contained a form of Muhammad. By the way, if you ever see 'Hj' with these it's probably short for 'Haji', a title of honour.
  13. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    I have merged this thread with a previous one. The new thread begins at post #5.
  14. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    As the name Mohammed originated in the Arabian peninsular, it was first written in the local alphabet. When Europeans arrived there in numbers, they transliterated the name phonetically using the Roman alphabet. As the locals later learned to write using the Roman alphabet, they would choose a variety of spelling of the name that corresponded most closely to their own hearing of the name and/or by using their best efforts in a spelling that was then without real standards.

If a person chooses to spell his name one particular way, it is a matter for himself and it will be the correct spelling of his name. Hence the variety of spellings of any names that originate in another alphabet.

Given the variety of spellings of Mohammed, Mohd, Mhd, Md, have become common abbreviations for Mohammed /Mahomad/ Mohamet / Mehmet / etc. These avoid giving the offence that might arise from a misspelling of the name.
  15. melozhang New Member

ZJ, China
    Thanks everyone, it helps a lot. :)