Me comprometí a hacerlo y lo haré

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by loureed4, Apr 24, 2012.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hi all,

Could I translate the sentence entitling this thread like this: "I commited to carry out/fullfil/do it, and I will"

Thanks in advance!!

2. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I promised to do it, and I will
    I committed myself to doing it, and I will.
    I gave my word that I would do it, and I will.

'Committed' needs an object (I committed myself')

3. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks a lot Bevj!! , Nice suggestion!!

Couldn´t I say: I commited myself to fullfiling it , and I will. ?

Thanks again!!

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Yo can also say "I am committed to doing it," but I think your version is more appropriate in this case.

5. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Yes, that is another option (depending what 'it' refers to).

6. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    I want to agree with Bevj that commit needs an object, but I'm not sure that this is right. So, I looked it up and found that it can be used informally without one. As much as I want to agree, my dictionary doesn't.

So the answer to you your question is: Yes, you could.

But why would you want to? I think the quick and obvious translation is "I promised to do it, and I will." Sure, you could change promise to vow, pledge, give your word, oblige yourself, swear, and probably many other words.

"Hacerlo" has even more possibilities. Look in any S/E dictionary. I notice you overlooked to make.

I have a question back at you. I heard that comprometer a a hacer algo can mean to undertake, to start, to do something. So, is this a possible translation (at least in some context)
    I started to do it, and I will finish.
    I ask because, out of context, I have my doubts.

Have fun, and learn.

7. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks all!,

Chris K, I think your sentence refers to the present "I am..." , and I am tryin to say something in the past "I committed myself to fullfing it, and I will"

I´m wondering something. If I want to say "Nosotros estamos comprotemido con los objetivos de la empresa", then , in this case, could I say this way: "We are committed (ourselves??) to the company goals". In my opinion "ourselves" here sounds odd.

Jim29, so, I can say: "I promised/vowed/pledged/gave my word/obliged myself/sworn to fullfilling, and I will" ?.
    What is an "S/E dictionary Jim?.

If I am not understanding you bad, you mean it can be said like this: "I undertook to fullfil that task, and I will"

Regarding the context, this can be many of them: A father says to his son: ,"I commited (myself?) to attending to your game, and I will" or in a company, a employee says to this colleague: "I commited to achieving it, and I will".

Thanks a lot!

8. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    What you seem to be doing is trying out all possible synonyms. Am I right? Next, you have to ask if these trials are grammatically correct. This is followed by wondering what the differences are, and then searching for a context. I can see the fun, and the learning potential, in this; but I'm finding it hard to answer out-of-context, general questions. (I'm not saying that it isn't fun to try, only that the answers can go off in almost any direction.)

Long ago I had The Synonym Finder by J. I. Rodale. It has been updated by Nancy LaRouche. I looked it up on amazon; the ISBN is 0446370290. I'm sure you can find it. Trust me, you will love it. It will keep you busy for years.

The other thing that you can do is to look up hacer in a Spanish to English dictionary; mine give about two dozen English words. You could even look up these words in the E>S section and get even more Spanish words. You could then look all of these up and have even more English words.

If you said I swore to fulfill it you would be correct in some conceivable context. I'm thinking that you put your hand on the Bible and swore to God. In courtrooms people swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

You need "swore," not "sworn." You need the "it;" watch out for transitive-only verbs.

I also find "We are committed ourselves to ..." to be odd or unusual. It's wrong.
    We are committed to...
    We, ourselves, are committed to... this tells who we are. I would interpret it as mean the "we" refers to us in the room, as opposed to all of us in the company.
    We committed ourselves to ... or just
    We committed to...
    We are committed, ourselves, to ... (correctly punctuated) is a variation of my second example.

The fun seems to never stop.

9. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Jim2996, thanks , as usual! . Your responses are too complicated for such a bad grammar student as I am.

Regarding the book, unfortunately, for personal reasons, can´t afford it now, but it is great your advice, I love English!!

10. donbill

donbill Senior Member / Moderator

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    You have some good suggestions. Here's one more: "I said I'd do it, and I'll do it."

Saludos

11. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Tannks donbill!,

The thing is that I am trying (as usual) to use different accurate verbs, in order not to say always the typical verbs I lernt from the school: do, say, think... . That´s why I focus on fullfil, carry out, engage, commit, and so forth.

I´m much obliged donbill! (too formal?) :rolleyes:

12. donbill

donbill Senior Member / Moderator

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    Understood, Loureed! My suggestion would fit in a context such as: "I gave you my word that I would do it, and I will." 'Comprometerse' is a somewhat difficult verb to translate, just as the noun 'compromiso' can be tricky to render in English.

But you're making progress! Keep on taking linguistic risks: 'quien no se atreve no pasa la mar'.

Saludos

p.d. 'I'm much obliged' is formal and, probably, outdated. When I was a kid, I heard older people say it. That was a LONG time ago.

13. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    hehehe, I am laughing because of the "much obliged" stuff. The point is that I love old movies, then, every now and then I hear it, hehe. thanks for the advice!

So, "compromiso" and "comprometerse" can be tricky? , Actually, the other day in a job interview I said: "Well, I like to compromise to the comapny´s goals" and afterwards, a friend of mine told me how wrong I was saying that rather than "commit to the company´s goals" ...I felt terrible of course!!

Thanks for saying "You´re making progress". It is quite simple: I´d like to become bilingual or the nearest I can to that.

Thanks again donbill, very funny your comment about how outdate my expression "I am much obliged" is, good to know!!