Me confundí contra Estoy confundida

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by LaReinita, Jul 5, 2007.

1. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    USA (Northeast Coast)-Inglés
    I was talking with a friend of mine from México tonight and when I said "ya estoy confundida" she corrected me . . "me confundí" . . and we were wondering what is the difference. I meant to save her messages and list them here because it was actually for her request that I am posting here. She said that when it happens in that moment . . you would say "Me confundí."

I am in no way questioning her expertise because she is a very intelligent woman and quite educated in English, but . .this is my take on these two expressions.

Me confundí== It confused me

Estoy confundida==I am confused

Is there a shading in the translation?

Thank you very much for your time!!!

2. Lules Senior Member

Bruxelles
    Spanish Spain
    For something that happens in that moment, in Latin America they use the simple past (pretérito indefinido): "me confundí", while in Spain we mainly use the present perfect (pretérito perfecto): "me he confundido"

Me confundí: I just made an error, I'm wrong

3. Shakti Su Junior Member

Spanish - Spain
    My suggestion:

Me confundí = I was wrong (when you make a mistake on a particular matter or action).
    Estoy confundida = I am confused (I think it means more a state of confusion).

Hope this helps.

Bye!

4. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Entonces . . Estoy confundida==I am (still) confused?????

5. smekera Junior Member

Romania, Romanian
    Hello

My opinion is that:

When you use "Me confundí", you are saying that you made a confusion about something. For example: "I thought that was Jake. I was wrong - I got confused". - My mistake, I am the source of making this confusion

And when you use "Estoy confundida", you are actually saying something like "I'm lost", "I'm not sure" - the action depends on external sources.

I'm not sure I've explained myself correctly, nor do I know if my explanation is perfectly correct - but with all that I hope it helps ;-)

See you

6. carzante

carzante Senior Member

Vigo, Galiza
    España - Castellano & Galego
    Estoy confundida = 1) I am confused or perplexed, it's equivalent to "estoy confusa". 2) I am wrong (now).
    Me he confundido (Spain) = I just made an error
    Me confundí = I made an error

Some people (in Northern Spain and in some countries of America) tends to use "pretérito perfecto simple (indefinido)" instead of "pretérito perfecto compuesto".

Saludos, LaReinita

7. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    ¡Gracias Carzante por tu respuesta! . . ¡Me has aclarado mis dudas!