Me gustas pero tengo miedo de fallar en el amor

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by soydoug, Sep 2, 2011.

1. soydoug New Member

English - United States Eastern
    Hi everyone.

I was listening to a song called Dutty Love by Don Omar. Looking up the lyrics, I found a phrase where one sings "Me gustas pero tengo miedo de fallar en el amor."

If you do a quick search on google for the letra de Dutty Love by Don Omar, you can see that she uses two forms of "fallar".

What I'm trying to figure out is what this really means.

I am aware of the fact that "fallar" means "to fail," but it doesn't quite make sense in context.

I want to think that "fallar en el amor" is an idiom meaning "to fall in love," but I know that that may not be the case.

2. mewilson Senior Member

Hi soydoug, I don't think "fallar en el amor" is an idiom for "to fall in love". In my opinion, there are two possibilities here: 1) that it means "I'm into you, but I'm afraid of failing at love." or 2) the writer of the song is guilty of a horrendous act of Spanglish, and uses "fallar" as a false cognate, meaning to say "to fall".
    Hope this helps.

3. jaorozcos

jaorozcos Junior Member

Monterrey MX
    Mexican Spanish
    I like you, but I'm afraid to mess it up again...
    Consider LOVING as a task, that person had failed completing that task in the past.

4. jaorozcos

jaorozcos Junior Member

Monterrey MX
    Mexican Spanish
    And I agree... don't listen to that kind of music IF you want to learn to speak Spanish...

5. Juan Jacob Vilalta

Juan Jacob Vilalta Senior Member

México
    Español/Francés
    I really don't get the problem.
    Fallar = to fail.

6. soydoug New Member

Sounds good. What does "falle" mean in this context (I'm not sure if it's conjugated properly... missing accents or the like).

I tried to fix this as well as I could from the lyrics, but it may still be improperly typed.

7. soydoug New Member

The problem is context and meaning. The phrase "fail in love" does not make sense in English. Ask anyone who speaks English natively and they will tell you that "fail in love" is never proper. Also, as I said earlier:

8. jaorozcos

jaorozcos Junior Member

Monterrey MX
    Mexican Spanish
    It's conjugated, without accent.
    No estoy muy seguro pero CREO que no es indicativo, sino subjuntivo:

Indicativo
    Yo fallo, el falla, tu fallas... etc...

Subjuntivo
    Yo falle, el falle, tu falles... etc...

And it's still the same meaning

9. soydoug New Member

Claro. Gracias por la ayuda. Y no usaré la canción para aprender español, sé que es malo. :p

10. jaorozcos

jaorozcos Junior Member

Monterrey MX
    Mexican Spanish
    LOL!
    Soy de otra generacion... escuchabamos a Wilfred y La Ganga... cuando "Mi abuela" era un hit.
    It was lousy SpanGlish... but so fun!

11. Juan Jacob Vilalta

México
    Español/Francés
    Well, get a try with something about failing.
    Y no le veo nada de spanglish ni de mal español en la frase, francamente.
    Me gustas pero tengo miedo de fallar en el amor está perfectamente escrito.
    Suerte.

12. jaorozcos

jaorozcos Junior Member

Monterrey MX
    Mexican Spanish
    I was talking about reggaeton songs in general. BUT, you're right. It makes perfect sense for native spanish speakers...

13. Juan Jacob Vilalta

México
    Español/Francés
    Gee, didn't know it was reggaeton! Well, yes then, I do agree with you.
    Nasty, IMO.

14. lalo980 New Member

Spanish-Panama
    Creo que sí es bueno que aprendas español con canciones. Te deja ver cuáles son las expresiones habituales en nuestro idioma.
    And, by the way, the phrase "Me gustas pero tengo miedo de fallar en el amor" could be translated as: "I like you but I'm afraid in messing up on love"
    I expect I've helped you.