me liga

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by ryandward, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ryandward

ryandward Senior Member

English - USA
    I have noticed that nobody ever places pronouns after the verb, even in situations where grammar books require.

Another thing that I almost always hear for "call me" is "me liga" when in my Brazilian Portuguese class they taught us to say "ligue-me".

Even though this is technically incorrect, does it sound acceptable enough for me to just start speaking without the subjunctive for commands, and using próclise in these situations as well?

Thank you,
  2. Krystoffer

Krystoffer Member

Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hey, Ryan! This is how it works in Brazilian Portuguese.

Down here, ênclise (placing the pronoun as a suffix to the verb, as in "ligue-me"), even though grammatically correct, is extremely unusual (and even sounds rather pedantic) in the spoken language.

When speaking, one would always place the unstressed object pronouns (me, te, se, lhe, nos, lhes - the rest of them are rarely used) before the verb, regardless of where that verb is in the sentence or of what the grammar rules would tell you to do.

However, when writing in Portuguese, especially in formal contexts (such as when writing an article or a formal letter), the grammatical use of ênclise and próclise (and also mesóclise) should be observed.

Now, about the use of the subjunctive or of the imperative to give commands, it really depends on the dialect. Some of them do appreciate the subjunctive more than others. Mine (Gaúcho dialect) is all for the use of the (affirmative) imperative in these cases, so I would always say:

• "me liga" rather than "me ligue"; or
    • "me diz" instead of "me diga".

Even when the command is negative, I would still always use the affirmative imperative verb form, with a preceding "não":
    • "não me liga", instead of the (grammatically correct) negative imperative form "não me ligues";
    • "não me diz", rather than "não me digas".

But, again, I recommend you to abide to the grammar rules when writing something formal. ;)
  3. ryandward

ryandward Senior Member

English - USA
    Hey Krystoffer, I really appreciate the advice, maybe you should write a book for guys like me who take Portuguese in school then get confused when actually hearing it. 8)
  4. Krystoffer

Krystoffer Member

Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hahahaha! I'm pleased to help. :) Portuguese is not such an easy language, and it's nice to see there are more foreigners studying it now.
  5. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    You'll find a zillion threads here at WR about this difference: written and spoken Portuguese, mainly BR Pt. ;)
  6. artefacto_ Member

Utrecht, Netherlands
    Portuguese (European)
    I should add that such constructions are not acceptable European Portuguese. Broadly speaking, European Portuguese prefers the enclitic position, but the proclitic position is either required or at least possible (with a slight change in meaning) in some situations. Nevertheless, starting a sentence with a clitic is something you'll never hear or read.

Likewise, no one will say "não me diz" in place of "não me digas" in Portugal, except maybe when giving an order to a child in an edgy manner. Parent may say "não mexe!" (for "o menino não mexe") or "não fazes isso" instead of "não mexas" or "não faças"; these are imperative sentences where the indicative has a value of subjunctive.

As one might imagine, using a construction used to scold children when talking to an adult would not be appropriate (outside of a jocular context).
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. ryandward

ryandward Senior Member

English - USA

It's funny that you brought this up, because while I was living in Spain, my host mother once told me "Iba a apagar la luz, ahora la vas a apagar tú." as I entered the front door after coming home late.

I felt like she was being really rude to me by using this kind statement about what I was going to do; it wasn't even a command or a request. If this is how this kind of sentence would come across in Portugal, I'll definitely avoid it there!
  8. blackshark Member

Naples, Italy
    Acho que não se trata apenas do uso preferencial do imperativo afirmativo ou do uso do subjuntivo ("normalmente" usado para o imperativo negativo), já que há sempre que considerar o uso diversificado no Brasil do pronome pessoal para o tratamento íntimo:
    Me liga depois do almoço. - tratamento com 'você' ou com 'tu' conjugados na 2ª pessoa do imperativo
    Me ligue depois do almoço. - tratamento com 'você' ou com 'tu' conjugados na 3ª pessoa do imperativo

Aqui também tem um estudo bem interessante e exaustivo sobre o uso do imperativo no português brasileiro e de Portugal:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012