"me thinks not"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by .::.Flor.::., Sep 22, 2011.

1. .::.Flor.::. Junior Member

I was writing down on a forum before, and while writing my personal opinion about something, this expression (ME THINKS NOT) came out easily.

I would like to now if it is correct, if "me thinks not" is a way to say "I think it does not" "I don't think so" or something of that kind.

Besides, if it really exists, I would like to know if it is slang, standard or a formal expression.

Thanks in advance.
  2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    You might want to search a few dictionaries for the word "methinks". It's very archaic and most people would associate it with Shakespeare ("Methinks the lady doth protest too much" from Hamlet​). People would only use it to be funny.
  3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Note that the word "methinks" does not mean "I think." Instead, the meaning is "it seems to me".

It might also be noted that the correct quote of Queen Gertrude's line in Hamlet is "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
  4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Methinks the version usually quoted is textually inaccurate... most people put "methinks" at the front when quoting the line in day-to-day conversation, methinks. Methinks. Tattoos made from amphetamines?