1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

medical care

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by seitt, Apr 16, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

My sentence for translation: “Like free education, medical care is a basic human right.”

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    Hello Simon,
    with your level of command in Turkish (not to mention others) where did you get stuck with that sentence? just curious.
    and it says "ücretsiz eğitim gibi sağlık güvencesi temel insan haklarındandır".

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged - as for why I got stuck, I somehow wasn't comfortable with the only things that came to mind: "bedava eğitim" and "tıbbi bakım", especially the latter. What is your opinion of these two?

4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Yes, they sound OK, especially the latter. :) Bedava eğitim sounds a bit like a commercial to me.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks!

6. ouzhantekin Senior Member

Istanbul /伊斯坦堡
    Turkish - Standard
    In this context, you can also use "sağlık hizmeti" for medical care. And just to be fastidious, I would say "...temel insan hakkıdır." might be a more faithful translation than "...temel insan haklarındandır." which translates "...is one of the basic human rights.".

7. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    Your understanding of these words were not incorrect. However, they were mot à mot, literal translations which would sound strange, to say the least. Your Turkish shows itself when not settled with "bedava eğitim" and "tıbbi bakım".
    My curiosity satisfied now:cool:

8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you all very much - how do you feel about "sağlık bakımı", by the way?

9. ouzhantekin Senior Member

Istanbul /伊斯坦堡
    Turkish - Standard
    As much as not a literal translation, my native eyes & ears would like "sağlık hizmetleri" better.

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!