1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Meeting someone for the first time

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by RBinDC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RBinDC New Member

English
    I will be meeting a high level Czech diplomat and have been told that the correct expression is: Jsem rad ze vas posnavam. The literal translation is: "I am happy to know you."

Sounds kind of informal to me. But in Czech, is this expression appropriate for showing deference to the other person?

2. Hrdlodus

Hrdlodus Senior Member

I can't translate that ideal, I don't know English so much.

Better translate is: "Nice to meet you."

"Jsem rád, že Vás poznávám." is formal introducing in Czech. That doesn't say, that I am happy of knowing you. It's only formal phrase, if I meet some new person.
    Google translate -> I'm glad to meet you.

3. AllTaken New Member

czech
    The literal translation of "Jsem rád, že vás poznávám" would be "I'm glad that I'm getting to know (/meeting) you". I think it's perfectly fine.
    Other option could be "Je mi potěšením, že vás mohu poznat" - "It's a pleasure to me, that I can get to know you".

4. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    It's the cultural/social equivalent of "pleased to meet you" - exactly what you say in a formal context when you meet someone for the first time and probably shake hands. It's appropriate for the context you describe: being introduced to, or welcoming a diplomat or other official.

Poznávat translates better here in this formal context as "to make your acquaintance" rather than "know you".