Meeting someone for the first time

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by RBinDC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RBinDC New Member

I will be meeting a high level Czech diplomat and have been told that the correct expression is: Jsem rad ze vas posnavam. The literal translation is: "I am happy to know you."

Sounds kind of informal to me. But in Czech, is this expression appropriate for showing deference to the other person?
  2. Hrdlodus

Hrdlodus Senior Member

I can't translate that ideal, I don't know English so much.

Better translate is: "Nice to meet you."

"Jsem rád, že Vás poznávám." is formal introducing in Czech. That doesn't say, that I am happy of knowing you. It's only formal phrase, if I meet some new person.
    Google translate -> I'm glad to meet you.
  3. AllTaken New Member

The literal translation of "Jsem rád, že vás poznávám" would be "I'm glad that I'm getting to know (/meeting) you". I think it's perfectly fine.
    Other option could be "Je mi potěšením, že vás mohu poznat" - "It's a pleasure to me, that I can get to know you".
  4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    It's the cultural/social equivalent of "pleased to meet you" - exactly what you say in a formal context when you meet someone for the first time and probably shake hands. It's appropriate for the context you describe: being introduced to, or welcoming a diplomat or other official.

Poznávat translates better here in this formal context as "to make your acquaintance" rather than "know you".