1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

meglátogathatnám

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by NagyKiss, Jun 8, 2013.

1. NagyKiss Senior Member

"Don Juan távozáskor azt mondta, meglátogathatnám valamikor a házában."

This is a verb, right - meglátogathatni? And it is in a conditional conjugation?

And it means... "I could visit somebody" or "Somebody is available for a visit from me"???

I found only "meglátogatható" in a dictionary.

Crazy!

2. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hello NagyKiss,

A clue: the conjugation of the verb (both in Russian and in Hungarian, as well as in a lot of other languages...;)) indicates who the subject is. The "m" indicates the 1st person Sing., so "I" is the person who is carrying out the action.
    meglátogat -> pay a visit to somebody
    meglátogathat -> can pay a visit to somebody
    meglátogathatna -> could pay a visit to somebody (yes, -na, -ne is the indicator of the conditional:thumbsup:)

And after this the conjugation can start (here referring to a direct object, so in obejctive conjug.): (I) meglátogathatnám, (you) meglátogathatnád, (he,she, it) meglátogathatná, etc.

From the quoted sentence we cannot tell whether DJ could visit somebody (a particular person, he is thinking of) or a "you" (in formal conjugation!), i.e. the person he is talking to in that situation.

3. NagyKiss Senior Member

Sorry for the mix-up with the terminology (conjugation and all that) and thanks for the explanation. I'm also curious why there is no "hogy" in that quote (azt mondta, hogy)?

As for the uncertainty of the quoted statement, I'm still not used to the fact that polite speech is conducted through 3rd person, it's so weird for me, so until you mentioned this, I didn't even realize that the statement was actually uncertain.

P.S. I also realized that maybe I don't understand the fine difference between these verbs:
    meglátogatnám - I could pay a visit?
    meglátogathatnám - I could be able to pay a visit???
    I totally understand meglátogatható - someone is available for a visit. But if we are talking about the verb, does "-ható" actually add some extra meaning to it? Does it actually say something about the subject of the verb? Ability to pay a visit?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  4. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    English language is confusing here, in fact
    meglátogatnám = I would pay a visit to him / to you (formal),
    meglátogathatnám = I would be able to / I could pay a visit to him / to you (formal).
    Meglátogathat = can/may visit, and meglátogatható like all -ható words has a passive meaning: (something/someone) that can be visited, for instance a place that tourists can visit.
    -- Olivier

5. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    This hogy can be often omitted.

More precisely:
    meglátogatnám - I should pay a visit - "conditional"
    meglátogathatnám - I could pay a visit / I should be able to pay a visit - "conditional possibility"

Sorry, Olivier, azt hiszem kereszteztük egymást ...