Mein Frühstück würde aus viel Obst und Gemüse bestehen.

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Majacaj, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Majacaj New Member

macedonian
    Hello,
    I am new member on this forum, and I would like to ask something connected with the German language.
    ex. Meine Früchstück würde sich viele Obst und Gemüse ausbesthen. In this sentence I am using the "Konjunktiv II". I would appreciate it if someone tell me is this sentence correctly written.

2. Arukami Senior Member

No, I'm sorry but it's not. And you aren't using the "Konjuktiv II", you're using the "Ersatzform" (alternate form).

Ersatzform mit würde:

Mein Frühstück würde aus viel Obst und Gemüse bestehen.

Konjunktiv II:

Mein Frühstück bestünde aus viel Obst und Gemüse. (also possible: bestände instead of bestünde)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. Majacaj New Member

macedonian
    Thank you very much. < .... >

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  4. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    (Mein Frühstück würde aus viel Obst und Gemüse bestehen.) Differently form Arukami, I think this "Ersatzform" (we used to call it "Konditional I) is some kind of Konjunktiv II.

Wird (Indikativ Präsens) ---> werde (Konjunktiv I) ---> würde (Konjunktiv II)

This also called "würde-Form" gradually takes over the correct form of the Konjunktiv II (as mentioned by Arukami) in colloquial speech, as the "real" Konj. II (bestünde) sounds pretty stiff and overblown in everyday speech. Technically speaking, 'würde bestehen' is Konjunktiv II of the future tense 'wird bestehen'.

According to "Wikipedia" the bottom line is: „Insgesamt muss eingeräumt werden, dass die Stellung der würde-Form im Rahmen des Konjunktivs noch relativ unklar ist.“

5. nievedemango

nievedemango Senior Member

Alemania
    alemán / German
    I agree with ablativ #4.

6. Majacaj New Member

macedonian
    Thanks for the feedback :)

7. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, Majacaj, welcome to the Forum, herzlich Willkommen.
    Usually the conjunctive 2 is not used in a simple main clause. The sentence requires context.
    It is either indirect speech or a conditional sentence.
    It is possible to omit the speaker or the condition if it is clear. It is available as a kind of empty trace than.

Can you give more context?
    Is it a question about grammatical forms only or do you want to use the sentence?
    (It is possible that using conjunctive 1 is better in some context.)

8. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    Indeed: After all, Majacaj wanted to translate an English "habitual would" into German. We don't use würde in this context at all in German. Instead we use an adverbial like für gewöhnlich, gewöhnlicherweise and normalerweise.

English: My breakfeast (then) would consist of lots of fruits and vegetables.

German: Mein Frühstück bestand (damals) für gewöhnlich aus viel Obst und Gemüse.

9. Majacaj New Member

macedonian
    [h=1]Mein Frühstück bestünde aus viel Obst und Gemüse.[/h]Okay, now I am confused.
    I am studying German, and I had homework where I need to use Konjunktiv 2. And we had similar example as the one i wrote it down, with würde + infinitiv.

10. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, in this case it could be, for example:
    Examples
    Indirect speech:
    1. Man sagte mir, mein Frühstück würde aus viel Obst und Gemüse bestehen. ("würde" is the conjunktive of "werden" in this case, and it indicates that it is later, after the speech. It may be also the same time in the context that I could not see the content of the current breakfast.

2. Ich sagte, mein Frühstück bestünde aus viel Obst und Gemüse. - This indicates either the breakfast during speech or my usual breakfast.

3. Ich sagte, mein Frühstück würde aus viel Obst und Gemüse bestehen. - The same as 2. or similar to 1.

Conditional:

Mein Frühstück würde aus viel Obst und Gemüse bestehen, wenn ich es schaffe, rechtzeitig im Laden zu sein.
    Here the condition may be fulfilled or not.

There are lots of other examples.

I think the task was to build just the conjunctive part rather than conjunctive sentences.