1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

mensagem vs recado

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by reka39, Feb 8, 2013.

1. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Hello! If I receive a SMS, is that a 'recado' or a 'mensagem'? It seems to me that in general recado may have several meaning, while 'mensagem' is only 'message'. Thank you.

2. Ruca Senior Member

Grande Porto
    Português Europeu
    Olá Reka39,

I will answer as a speaker of Portuguese - Pt.

I would say that "recado" may be a message, but it may be more than a message.

For instance: If I send you a SMS, I would say that I sent you a "mensagem". But I could say that I sent you a "recado" as well. If that message contains instructions about something I am asking you to do, then I would prefer "recado". I think "recado" often relates to the idea of giving instructions about something.

"Recado" may also mean a reprimand. If I say "Ela já me mandou o recado" I might be saying that I received a reprimand from her.

Further, "recado" may mean "to run errands". For instance "a minha mãe mandou-me fazer um recado" means "my mother sent me on an errand".

So, if you are talking about a straight plain message, I think that in Portugal people are preferring the word "mensagem", maybe in order to avoid the other subtle meanings the word "recado" has. However, if you say "recado", I think it is correct as well.

3. englishmania

englishmania Senior Member

Portugal
    European Portuguese
    Text message= mensagem.

Recado is used when person A asks >> person B to tell >> person C something. (person A wants to tell person C something)
    "Vais... ? Olha, fazes-me um favor? Se vires o C., diz-lhe que vou chegar um pouco atrasada".

Also, if your mother leaves a note 'hi, dinner on the kitchen table' that's a recado too.

If person A calls person B but he/she isn't at home, person C (who answers the phone) asks "Quer deixar recado?" (message)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    O que disse a englishmania vale também para o Brasil.

5. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you! It was very helpful.

6. LuizLeitao

LuizLeitao Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese
    I think "recado" is a short and informal, either verbal (mainly) or written
    kind of message. In Brazil, one also uses to say "bilhete" (which is also a bus/train, etc. ticket). "Deixei-lhe um bilhete escrito, na porta da geladeira".

7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Yes, there's that too. The word for bilhete in English is note. "I left him a handwritten note on the door of the fridge."

8. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Thanks. We use 'biglietto' both as 'ticket' and 'note' in Italian. But we say : 'nota della spesa' if we are referring to the list of things we are going to buy to the supermarket. 'biglietto' denotes its materiality, 'nota' what is written on.

9. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Acho que é parecido em português. Nota della spesa seria "lista de compras". :)