merci bien / merci beaucoup

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Gianne, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Gianne Junior Member

Engl/French
    Are the terms "merci bien" and "merci beaucoup" interchangeable? Where would it be appropriate to use one and not the other. Would it be ok to always say 'merci bien!' instead of just 'merci!"?

2. Gardefeu Senior Member

x
    x
    Yes. No difference whatsoever.

3. oliviafrance Senior Member

I would say that "merci bien" is more informal than "merci beaucoup"...

4. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
    "merci bien" : bien is there to qualify the way you're giving your "thank you"

"merci beaucoup" : beaucoup qualify the number( a lot) of "thank you" you give!

5. Gianne Junior Member

Engl/French
    Merci bien à tout le monde de clarifier! I had thought merci bien was slightly less formal

merci bien = thanks a lot
    merci beaucoup = thank you very much/so much

As long as they're both interchangeable and mean the same as 'merci'!, then that's great.

6. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
    Well, it's actually the contrary !

And yes, they both means "Merci"! So that GREAT !!!

7. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    I think you mean to say 'it's the other way around'

If it were the contrary, then 'merci bien' would equal 'drop dead,' etc.

8. Ludito Senior Member

Spain
    French, Belgium
    I wouldn't say "merci bien" all the time. It is far to be a rare expression but it's less used (I think) than "merci beaucoup". Just say "Merci" with a long "i"

9. Maen Junior Member

La Chaux-de-Fonds
    French - Switzerland
    "merci bien" is less formal. Anyway, merci beaucoup isen't very formal too. Normaly you juste use merci in formal letters.

unformaly you can also use mille merci

10. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
    mgarizona : Arghh.....alright ! (As you guessed,I meant it was the contrary of what she wrote, not contrary-meanings)

If you're interested, the french term for "the other way around" is "vice-versa"

11. Ludito Senior Member

Spain
    French, Belgium
    I'm afraid I don't really agree. "Mille merci" is very formal, to my taste. In a letter, I would not just write "merci". i'd use another form such as "(d'avance) Je vous remercie ...":eek:

12. Gianne Junior Member

Engl/French
    and in conversation...? Should you just say 'merci' instead of 'merci bien' as Ludito suggested?

13. Maen Junior Member

La Chaux-de-Fonds
    French - Switzerland
    yeah, but you wouldn't use "je vous remercie beaucoup....:cross:"
    and mille merci isn't formal anymore. I use it comonly.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  14. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

merci bien is more informal and can be used sarcastically (much more often than merci beaucoup).

Example of merci bien used in a sarcastic way :
    Tout recommencer depuis le début ? Merci bien ! J'ai autre chose à faire.
    (here, merci beaucoup wouldn't really fit).

But that shouldn't stop you from using it : context and tone always clear up any potential ambiguity.

15. Cuckoo

Cuckoo Junior Member

India, Speak:English, Hindi and some Indian languages
    Well, "Merci beaucoup" is the more apt way of using in general. I have been using it regularly everywhere... in france, in Belgium, switzerland and Italy. I never had any problem.

16. tilletille New Member

English English
    Actually vice versa is a Latin term, this is why we use it in French and English. And as far as merci bien and merci beacoup go, merci bien is used a lot more in Paris than in other parts of France, I used it all the time when I lived in Paris as I picked it up there but when I was in Lyon I was told it was a really Parisian thing to say!

17. TheFrenchGuy New Member

French Canadian
    I disagree with many of the interpretations above on how "merci bien" differs from "merci beaucoup".

merci bien = thank you kindly (literally "thank you well")
    merci beaucoup = thank you very much (literally "thank you a lot")

You would use "merci bien" as often and in the exact same manner as you would use "thank you kindly" e.g. not very often. I personally use in an informal context. It sounds slightly awkward so I use it when I want to use a different expression just to vary/spice things up. As the previous posts denote, there is a very subtle difference in interpretation between both expressions. My recommendation would be that is you are not fluent or have not heard this expression before, just don't use it. You'll probably use it wrong. Keep it simple and use "merci" or "merci beaucoup".

18. chaleuretgivre New Member

English - USA
    I could be far off-base, but I think of "merci bien" as "thank you kindly" with the same amount of kitsch.

19. Special Agent Dale Cooper

Special Agent Dale Cooper Senior Member

France
    French (France), German
    :D I quite agree with you ! But you'd still hear "Merci bien" in French more often than "Thank you kindly" in English, I guess.

20. GMF1991 Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    English (UK, Suffolk)
    I would disagree that this is a Parisian thing, I am currently living near the French-Spanish border and I have heard "merci bien" used frequently here...

:)

21. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    J'ai toujours pensé que "merci bien" se rapprochait plus de "thanks indeed", ou bien "I DO thank you".

bien = ça mettrait l'accent sur la sincérité de son remerciement (pas exactement la même chose que "beaucoup", mais c'est pareil plus ou moins)

22. Quintis

Quintis Senior Member

Belgium
    French-Belgium
    Well, I didn't know that the interpretation of the two could vary so greatly, I'm quite surprised.

Here is my personal interpretation:

I've always thought Merci bien to be more of a dismissive sentence, an automatic/conventional one.
    You might ask someone for directions and thank him/her with a Merci bien and go on your way.

While Merci beaucoup would be used in a much more sincere way, to emphasize that you are truly grateful because the person has made you a big favor (or so you would want him/her to think...) :p

Anyway I do agree Merci beaucoup is more used than Merci bien nowadays because Merci bien is closer to a simple Merci.

23. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    I don't know for sure, but they seem very similar in meaning (merci beaucoup vs. merci bien). But, imho, there is a "petite différence".

merci beaucoup = le fort degré du remerciement est souligné

merci bien = un vrai merci (oui, en effet, merci)

Ce dernier ne me semble plus sincère qu'au niveau sémantique. L'est-ce vraiment dans la vie de tous les jours? Non...loin de cela...il faudrait avoir le contexte pour juger de la sincérité du "merci" en question.

Mon "merci beaucoup" a tendance à mentir un petit peu plus que mon "merci bien". :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013