Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Qcumber, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    How do you say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" in Russian?
  2. elephas

elephas Member

Seattle, WA, US
    USA, Russian, English
    In Russian culture, these are very different holidays, they don't usually wish you with both at a time. Russians are predominantly Orthodox, the Orthodox Xmas comes later, after the NY; Jan 7 I believe.

Со Светлым Рождеством!
    Со Светлым Рождеством Христовым!
    Светлого Рождества!

Now the New Year: oh, boy, so many ways to wish for a Happy New Year - this is the most important holiday in Russia...

С Новым Годом! - happiness here is implied.
    Счастья в Новом Году!
    С Новым Годом, с Новым Счастьем!
    what else... Anyone?
  3. Ptak Senior Member

Happy New Year - С новым годом! (The most common variant)
    Merry Christmas - С Рождеством! / Счастливого Рождества! (I wouldn't say that "Светлого Рождества" is common).
  4. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Thanks a lot to you all. Now I'll write my wish cards and post them as soon as possible since the Russian postal service is so slow.
  5. jemiller1963 New Member

USA and English
    Hi Everyone! Светлого Рождества! ":^)

Is there a special way to say this to a female that I have a special relationship with?
  6. Michael_Boy Member

Merry Xmas,darling?Is that what you want to say for example?Because there's nothing how you can express your feelings without calling her something like honey or dear or something.
  7. jemiller1963 New Member

USA and English
    I'm thinking that you're right. I would like to wish her a merry Christmas while expressing my feelings for her. I know that gender is important but is it in this case?

8. Michael_Boy Member

Nope.There's no difference when you are using this phrase.Cause none of the words is verb which expresses the past time
    so Merry Xmas,Dear! in russian would be
    Дорогая,желаю тебе светлого Рождества!
  9. Masha* Senior Member

Russia: Russian
    Хоть и обсуждали, а я все равно напишу:
    Счастливого Рождества! Счастливого Нового года! (or just С Новым годом!) :D
  10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    For those of us who aren't able to use the cyrillic alphabet, would the following be the correct transliterations?

Schastlivogo Rozhdestva! Schastlivogo Novogo goda! (S Novym godom!)
  11. Masha* Senior Member

Russia: Russian
    Yes! That's right! :)
  12. Maroseika Moderator

Not exactly. Should be something like that:
    Sh'aslivava Razhdistva! Sh'aslivava Novava goda! (S Novym godam!)
  13. Iesavef Member

Rusia, San Petersburgo
    Rusia (ruso)

Maroseika, Grefsen asks about transliterations, not transcriptions. His version seems to be right!
  14. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Spasibo Masha & Iesavef! :)

It isn't possible for me to use the Cyrillic alphabet when I send SMSs to my Russian friends so I really appreciate it when transliterations are provided. :cool:
  15. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    What is the difference between these three New Year's Greetings?

Also would the following be correct transliterations?

С Новым Годом! - S Novym Godom!

Счастья в Новом Году! - Schast'ja v Novom Godu!

С Новым Годом, с Новым Счастьем! - S Novym Godom, s Novym Schast'em!

16. Iesavef Member

Rusia, San Petersburgo
    Rusia (ruso)
    "S Novym Godom" - is the most common and universal greeting. You can say it f.ex. if you meet someone in the street the 1 of January: "Hello XXX! S Novym Godom!" Or if you type an SMS you can write "S Novym Godom" and add some wishes: "S Novym Godom, XXX! I wish you happiness in the year 2008"

"Schast'ya v Novom Godu" - is a kind of wishing happiness in the year to come, you can use it f.ex. with a frase to say "good bye" in a message.

"S Novym Godom, s novym schast'yem" - I'm not sure of the origin of the frase, but every Russian I suppose can assoutiate it with a very famose song from a very famose soviet new-year film. The sens is something like "Happy New Year and the new year means the new happiness" ...ufff... sounds horrid :-S
    I would not use this frase, it is a bit of childish.

I hope I haven't made it more complicated :)) The transliterations I've put seem to me to be more correct, but here I'm not so sure.

S Novym Godom! :)
  17. Russianer Senior Member

Russia,St.-Petersburg City.
    Russian language- Russia.
    Поздравления с Рождеством, можно сказать:
    "Поздравляю вас с Рождеством Христовым!"
    При этом не забывайте , что Русская православная церковь отмечает Рождество 7 января, а не 25 декабря как у католиков и протестантов.

Поздравления с новым годом, обычно поздравляют,говоря: "С новым годом!" :)