mesafe katedildi

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by EthanThorn, Feb 28, 2013.

1. EthanThorn Junior Member

Stuttgart
    English - American
    Hello,

I'm having difficulties with the following sentence. Please excuse me if the answer is obvious :).

BM Gıda ve Tarım Örgütü'nün su raporuna göre, 1950 beri az suyla daha fazla tarım üretimi yolunda mesafe kat edildi.

My attempt:

According to a water report by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN, since 1950 [a lot of ground has been covered/things have come a long way] for increased agricultural production with little water.

- I'm confused as to how mesafe kat edildi works in the sentence. Does kat edildi mean "multiply", for example?

Thanks for the help.

2. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    Hi,

It means "progress has been made".
    You can find compound words in TDK Güncel Sözlük. Try with mesafe and you will see mesafe katetmek under Atasözü, deyim ve birleşik fiiller.
    mesafe katetmek

:)

3. EthanThorn Junior Member

Stuttgart
    English - American
    Ah, thank you. It wasn't written as a compound word in the newspaper and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was doing there. I'll make sure to try putting etmek words together with the previous word the next time something like this comes up!

4. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    With "compound words", I did not mean katetmek. Perhaps I should have said "expression" or "idiom" instead of compound word. However they too are listed under the heading in red.

5. EthanThorn Junior Member

Stuttgart
    English - American
    Yes, I see what you mean. Mesafe katetmek would be an "expression" in this case, I suppose, but on the other hand, my confusion had to do with the fact that katetmek had been written as two words, not one (perhaps?) compound word = kat + etmek. In any case, you have cleared up my confusion about the meaning :).

6. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    Sometimes this happens in newspapers.

7. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Yes ! It is a compound word.
    1- Kat' (ق ط ع) Arabic loan word that means "to travel over", "to travers" and "to make (travel) "; as well as its main meaning as "to cut" :)) strange homophony coincidence ! )
    2- etmek : It is self explanatory.