mess with someone's head

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Argos77, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Argos77 Senior Member

"How can I Mess With Someones Head? Theres this guy who keeps on messing with me, and i want him to just go insane. Like cry his eyes out."

What does the expression "mess with someones head" mean?

Could you give me an example, please?

Thank you very much!
  2. tottallyoff

tottallyoff Senior Member

When you play a practical joke on someone, you play with their heads.
    When you call someone and pretend to be someone else, you play with their heads.
    When you change something on someone's computer and the other person cant figure it out, you play with someone's head.
  3. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I'd characterize "messing with someone's head" as slightly different from run-of-the-mill practical jokes. By one definition, "messing with someone's head" causes them confusion.

By another definition, it simply refers to a person who cause one cognitive or emotional difficulties of some form. Love can mess with one's head, for example.
  4. tottallyoff

tottallyoff Senior Member

What if the practical joke is a emotional one? :)
  5. Ruthless butcher Senior Member

Spanish (Argentina)
    Hello, I need some help with a phrase that I still can't quite figure out. The phrase is "Mess with someone's head". What does this mean? I found one definition on internet that said: "To seriously upset someone". But I don't really get what "upset" means in this sentence. If you could help me with that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
  6. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Basically to confuse/upset someone. But it can lead to more serious (mental) problems. This could have been the intention..

PS.. The WR dictionary has a deinition of upset that is very relevant to this post..... :rolleyes:
  7. Siavash2015

Siavash2015 Senior Member

can you please make an example in which someone mess with one's else head that could confuse and upset them so severely leading to mental or emotional problems?
    So it's not only something that can confuse someone in some cases it could hurt them mentally and emotionally?
    I'd appreciate it in advance
  8. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Have you ever heard of the play or film "Gaslight" (sometimes called Angel Street)? In this story, a man tries to drive his wife insane by (among other things) adjusting the gas lamps in the house so she thinks she's imagining them dimming and brightening. This would be an extreme example of "messing with one's head."

Another, much lighter, example is in the video game "Arkham Asylum," in which, at one point, Batman is gassed with fear toxin by the Scarecrow. To simulate Batman's mental torture, the game's video is skewed in several ways, and the player is told to "use the middle stick to move" (there is no middle stick on a Playstation 3 controller). Here, not only the character's head is being messed with, but the player's as well.
  9. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Where did you find the original sentence you quoted, Argos? Was it written by a native speaker of English?
  10. Siavash2015

Siavash2015 Senior Member

Wow! Thank you so much. Couldn't get better example sentence :)