messed up/screwed up

Discussion in 'English Only' started by firecracker, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Hello,

I've heard the second expression (screwed up), and as far as I understand it has the same meaning as "messed up". Isn't it rude or vulgar?

2. It is a bit vulgar (don't say it to your grandmother -- although she probably wouldn't mind) but is in very common use for most occasions in AE.
  3. lsp

lsp Senior Member

US, English
    I always understood that "screwed up" is not vulgar, that its origins have to do with the twisty contortions of a screw, rather than its more recent usage referring to sexual intercourse.
  4. CAMullen Senior Member

US, English
    I'm afraid I'll have to cast a vote with carrickp. There are a few words in use today by people who seem not to be aware of their (by now former, I guess) connotations. I think "screwed" is less blatantly vulgar than, say, "suck," but only because its sexual connotations are deeper in the past; but they were both considered very vulgar, at least at one time.
  5. Ok.. thanks a lot guys!
  6. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Hello Firecracker,

Here are the terms to use to refer to a situation that has not gone as expected in order from most vulgar to least vulgar:

"fucked up" :warning:
    "screwed up"
    "messed up"

7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Screwed up has no sexual connotation in my mind.
    But my innocence often gets me into trouble ...

It is used by many people who would never dream of saying fucked up, and who would never use it if they thought that had been its origin.
  8. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

I agree with panjandrum. "fucked up" and "screwed up" have no sexual connotation whatsoever in how they are used although the infinitives "to fuck" and "to screw" have heavy sexual connotations.

Person 1: "I got into a bad accident today."
    Person 2: "I bet that your car is really fucked/screwed/messed up."

Person 1: "Did you hear about John?"
    Person 2: "No, what happened?"
    Person 1: "He got caught putting poison in the soup at school."
    Person 2: "Well, they should have been able to foresee this. He is so fucked/screwed/messed up in the head."

9. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi
    What does Screw-up actually mean?

Is it the same as Messed-up?

I believe Messed-up means mixing the things/tasks i.e. in a puzzled state(of mind).

Correct me if I'm wrong there, please. Could you please provide contexts too where both the words be used?

Many Thanks,
  10. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    "Screw-up" (the noun) is a big mistake.
    "To screw up" is to make such a mistake.
    "Screwed up" is something which has been severely damaged or very poorly designed.
  11. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi

Thanks a lot,
  12. cubbissimo Senior Member

US Spanish
    "screwed up" can also qualify the situation in which a person is; a very bad, disadvantageous and/or unfortunate one.

"I'm screwed up."
  13. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    Wouldn't this just be "I'm screwed"?
  14. Esca Senior Member

These phrases talk directly about something getting ruined:

"[The car] is screwed up" = Something bad happened to it, and now it's in disarray/ruined.
    "I screwed [the car] up" = I made a big mistake and now the car is in disarray/ruined.

These are a bit different:

"I'm screwed up" = I have serious personal (perhaps mental) problems.
    "I'm screwed" = I'm in a disastrous situation where something bad is almost certainly going to happen.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  15. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi

I've always been wondering wot does up actually mean and what meanings it could bring in if added at the end of a word like you did herein above.
    According to me up means at top or to start.
  16. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
  17. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi
  18. roeslp New Member

I think this expression comes from the early days of the typewriter. When someone made an error, he'd have to 'screw up' the drum in order to erase the error.