1. helen333 New Member

NY
    USA-English
    Hello,

Can someone please help me translate this sentence below properly?

je t' envoye 1 mail puisque mes appels excitent la fureur de ta " meuf"(mot intraduisible en anglais dc inaccessible pour cette créature ingrate.

thanks!

2. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    meuf = femme. c'est du verlan (slang where you inverrt the first and last bits of a word to make a new one)

3. helen333 New Member

NY
    USA-English
    Ok thanks Benjy, what about the meaning or context of the entire sentence?

4. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    i sent you an email because my calls invite the wrath of your wife ([with reference to meuf] untranslatable word and hence incomprehensible for that miserable creature)

5. xav

xav Senior Member

Paris
    France
    I suggest not to translate "meuf"
    .. the wrath of your "meuf".

I guess she's his "copine" more than his wife...

Butbutbut, dear Helen...
    if you're a female English-speaker
    1) you don't want to send that e-mail
    2) you haven't received it either
    3) so, you are the "meuf", aren't you ? ;)

If so, a couple of bad ideas :
    Tell your friend that "je t'envoie" takes an 'i', not an 'y'.
    Or ask him how he says "femme" in "verlan".
    Or just tell him about "verlan" - the language of those burning french banlieues... "ouf" = "fou" = "crazy", for example.
    Or tell a friend before him about your "keum" (it's verlan for "mec" = man).

6. helen333 New Member

NY
    USA-English
    oh my you guessed it! I am the wife and she has sent this to my husband. 'She' is the mother of their children and x-wife. Need I say more......

Thanks for all your help. While I am a native english speaker I do aspire to learn French but have not gone beyond my aspirations for the moment. Thanks for being my confidente

7. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    clever Xav ! :idea:

you can also tell him the word would be untranslatable if wordreference forums did not exist... :p - actually this is not true : "meuf" IS in the WR dictionnary ! (translation = chick, woman, broad)

8. merissa New Member

Ontario, Canada
    Canada - English
    It's so funny how some words just don't translate well...very common in foreign subtitled films...lol