Mevlit Kandiliniz Mübarekli Olsun [sic]

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Zuccherro, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Zuccherro Senior Member

Lebanon
    Arabic
    merhaba
    ingles'te ne demek "Mevlit Kandiliniz Mübarekli Olsun" lutfen?
    (what does this mean n english please?)

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    inglés és español. :p

İngilizce'de ne demek*

We say: "Mevlit kandiliniz mübarek olsun.", not "mübarekli". Mevlit Kandili is a religious day, I don't know the English word for it, you can look for it on Wikipedia. The whole phrase is like: "Happy Mevlit Kandili". By the way, I'm thinking that it's spelt with a "d", as in: Mevlid Kandili, but I'm not sure.

3. Zuccherro Senior Member

Lebanon
    Arabic
    actually in Arabic, it is spelled with a "d", but the teacher told us that it's difficult for turkish people to pronounce the sound "d" at the end of the word, the reason why names like "Ahmet, Halit, .. " end with a "t" in turkish, unlike in arabic ... isn't that right?!

i know it is an expression that is usually said on the day the prophet Muhammad pbuh was born, but i needed a translation for its meaning .. i just didn't get the word "kandiliniz", i know that mevlid means birth, mubarekli blessed, and olsun be, could it be something like " may it be a blessed birth .. " not sure :/

oups! ^^' thanks for the correction! i hate when confusion between languages begins ..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    I don't know its origin, but I had read somewhere that during the "Mevlid" week, some sort of torch, or lantern, or candles (kandil) were lit in the mosques. (I don't know if they still do that). So that day is called: Mevlid Candle. Nowadays, people tell each other: May your Mevlid Candle (day) be sacred/blessed.

5. Zuccherro Senior Member

Lebanon
    Arabic
    guzel!! anladim :D tesekkurler!