Mi casa es tu/su casa - proposal?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by swamindia2002, Jul 22, 2007.

1. swamindia2002 New Member

India, english and hindi
    hey all,
    i read the thread with the discussion "mi casa es su/tu casa".. just wondering if it isn't used by a guy when he proposes a girl asking her for marriage?

2. SaritaSarang

SaritaSarang Senior Member

English - United States
    It's used to make friends/people feel welcome.

I doubt a man would say that when proposing hahahahaha
  3. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    What a charming interpretation...but, no, as SaritaSarang mentioned, it is not the wording of a marriage proposal..it is the wording of a welcome to guests into your home. It is a way of saying "Make yourself at home in my house; I hope you will be as comfortable in my house as you would be in your own home"
  4. Jorge Jodra Senior Member

Spanish- Spain

Nobody could explain the meaning better. Cheers!
  5. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    Thank you. The reason I know what it means is that I have experienced it. When Spanish speakers have said to me "Mi casa es tu casa", they have really meant it...they are incredibly gracious hosts.
  6. romarsan

romarsan Senior Member

Mi casa es tu casa...
    Es una frase hecha, cortés y no muy usada en conversaciones entre gente joven, está un poco en desuso. Es algo así como "comportate y sientete como si estuvieras en tu casa, pero no olvides que estás en la mia..." jajaja.
  7. swamindia2002 New Member

India, english and hindi
    he he, gracias todos.. que éste es realmente un qué amigo el mío me dijo.
  8. VeritoHime New Member

Mexico City
    Spanish - Mexico
    ¿y cómo se dice en inglés esa expresión? ¿existe una frase idiomática para ella? o simplemente es "make yourself at home" ?
  9. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Here in Mexico, the expression "mi casa es su casa" is very often used in the following additional manner.

When you are speaking with someone and he mentions his home, he deliberately refers to it as "su casa" instead of "mi casa." This is very common among adults.

Actually, not being a native of Mexico, this makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, and I never use the same expression myself in return.

10. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

I noticed that a lot when living in Mexico, too. I often heard the variation "su/tu pobre casa" even by people whose casas were by no means pobre.
  11. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    You're right, they often augment the formality by saying "su pobre casa" or "su humilde casa." However, the younger generation is fast dropping this entire formality.