Mi hija (not my daughter)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Marias-espanol, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Marias-espanol

Marias-espanol Senior Member

Oklahoma
    USA-English
    Hola,
    ¿Qué significa "mi hija" en inglés? Cuando un hombre dice esto a una mujer.
    Muchas gracias,
    María

2. charisma_classic

charisma_classic Senior Member

Tennessee
    English, U.S.A.
    Dear or honey. It's a term of affection.

3. De Bezetene Senior Member

Oranjestad
    Pap, Ned, Eng, Span
    It's a term of endearment. I guess dear would be an apt translation.
    It's usually pronounced mija, at least in Latin America.

4. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    It means dear, darling, sweetheart, etc. Usually intended as a term of endearment, it can sometimes be a condescending or patronising way of addressing someone.

5. De Bezetene Senior Member

Oranjestad
    Pap, Ned, Eng, Span
    Yes, but not because of the term itself. It has to do with the tone in which it is said.

6. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    I agree, although if you call an adult your child, it can be understood as condescending even if you meant no harm and the tone was neutral or affectionate.

7. Marias-espanol

Marias-espanol Senior Member

Oklahoma
    USA-English
    Muchas gracias por su ayuda. Esto es pienso. ¿Dice mija not mi hija?
    María

8. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
  9. De Bezetene Senior Member

Oranjestad
    Pap, Ned, Eng, Span
    In general, people don't consciously associate mijo/mija with my child, as the term has acquired a meaning of its own. Same as when you call someone honey in English. No one would think that you're comparing them to that viscous fluid.

10. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Ha ha! I know. Nonetheless, I know a lot of women who really do not appreciate being called honey by men (the context of Maria's question), unless he is their romantic partner. The same with numerous terms of endearment: they sound fine when addessing a child, but when a man calls a grown woman honey/dear/love/darling etc. without being her father/husband/lover/really close friend, it doesn't always go down well. I know they often don't realise it can be taken as (and don't mean it to be) condescending, or perhaps even offensive, but it can.

11. De Bezetene Senior Member

Oranjestad
    Pap, Ned, Eng, Span
    OK. Now I get you! I agree 1000%. :)

12. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    "mi hija / mija" is a term of endearment equivalent to "my dear child"

13. txdoe New Member

English Spanish
    Mija and mijo mean daughter or son affectionately whether the person is your actual daughter, not your daughter but a close and trusted family friend, can be your nice or nephew too. The "mi" part is for mine and the "ja" or "jo" is the gender. Short for mi hija or mi hijo. Same for mijito or mijita. Thats what our grandmother Dona Maria Villarreal from Nuevo Laredo Tamoulipas Mx. would call us all the time. Most probably because she couldn't remember all of her grandkids names. Its as much a slang as is "dude" in the English language. And I have been called hey dude many times. Being a female Texan we overlook it.