Mi manchi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by AVialecci, Jul 4, 2006.

1. AVialecci New Member

English-United States
    Hi, my mom has been listening to this one Italian singer, Andrea Bocelli and I have noticed that in one of his songs, he say the word the words "mi manche". I have looked it up but I cannot seem to find any definitions for this phrase. I know the first part is "me" but I cannot seem to find what "manche" means.
  2. combustion

combustion Senior Member

Lugo (RAVENNA)
    Italian, Italy, Ravenna
    Probably it is: "mi manchi" from the verb "mancare"... a translation is "I miss you"!
    Bye, comb...
  3. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australian English
    This is a web site that has the lyrics translated into English of all of Andrea Bocelli's songs. Hope it helps.
  4. brian

brian Senior Member

AmE (New Orleans)
    Are you sure it's not "manchi" or "manca"?

Mi manchi = I miss you (informal)

Mi manca = I miss him/her/you (informal)

5. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    AVialecci, in case you get confused as to why "mi" is in the Italian and not translated into English, it is because "mi manchi" literally means "you are missing to me" but is translated as "I miss you!"

6. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

American English [AmE]
    "Mi manchi tanto lo sai, solo omai..." - Paola Turci :). It's definately Mi manchi (you are missing to me) ;)
  7. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

American English [AmE]
    I realized, che and chi have similar sounds so maybe that's where you got confused? I don't think there are verbs that end in "che", ho ragione?
  8. AVialecci New Member

English-United States
    Thank you very much for all of those who have posted. It makes sense that mi manchi means "I miss you".
  9. brian

brian Senior Member

AmE (New Orleans)
    Hai ragione. (Io penso) I don't know of any "-chere" or "-chire" verbs. And no form of an "-are" verb has only the ending "e," which would be the only way to force something like "mancare" to be "manche." So I'd say you are right indeed.

10. Hope2bfree

Hope2bfree New Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Guys, I always get confused with some expressions in italian.
    "Mi manchi" is one of these words...

Please help me with this:

-> The correct translation in English for "I miss you" should be: "ti manco"
    -> If "mi manchi" means "I miss you", what does "ti manco" means?
  11. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    The correct translation for "I miss you" is "mi manchi" (Literally: "You are missing to me"). "Ti manco" means "You miss me" (Literally: "I am missing to you")

12. vyker New Member

Hello everyone

Can someone translate "I miss you so much you baby and I hope you enjoy Vancouver" into Italian for me

13. BluePoint Senior Member

Italia, Italian

"Mi manchi tanto tesoro e spero ti piaccia Vancouver"

14. vyker New Member

Grazie BluePoint
  15. Never Got a Dinner

Never Got a Dinner Senior Member

America, English
    Not exactly.

Mi manchi = I miss you (informal)
    Mi manca = I miss him/her/it (informal)
    Mi manca = I miss you (FORMAL)

Also, you can say,

Sento la tua mancanza. = I miss you (informal) (lit., I feel your absence.)
    Sento la mancanza di ... = I miss (something) (lit., I feel the absence of ...)
  16. Ellena Senior Member

USA (California), English
    I wanted to add that I was just told that "mi manchi" is a little stronger than the English "I miss you". In English I could say "I miss you" to a casual friend or co-worker, but my Italian friend said that "mi manchi" is "something that you say to your brother, to your parents, to your husband or when you fall in love [with] somebody".

That could be an important thing to know. :)

17. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Oddly enough, that wouldn't be true if you used the past tense.

Mi sei mancato/a

You can use this with whomever (as long as you missed them of course :D).

So if a colleague is back after a business trip or something, there's no "romance/flirt" meaning going on.

18. d.starman New Member

Thanks for that translation...I was just looking up the same thing and I am listening to "mi Manchi". I love the Internet to get answers quick and easy for any question!