MID cells

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mietagosia, Feb 6, 2006.

1. mietagosia Senior Member

Poland, Polish
    Could you explain the meaning of the following passage? :

MID cells may include less frequently occurring and rare cells correlating to monocytes, eosinophils, basophils, blasts and other precursor white cells.

Could you make it clearer to me ;-) and translate "from English (mediacal) into English (normal English please :p"

Thanks in advance!!!

2. maxiogee Banned

It's all medicalese!:)

What it is saying is that MID cells may, but do not always, include the other cells which are listed.

The person who wrote it has used the word "rare" somewhat unnecessarily. Saying that they are "less frequently occurring" than cells which are themselves rare, makes those in the list 'rare'.

I presume if you are dealing with this sort of material that you know what these cells are - I certainly don't.;)
  3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    They are all blood cells, or something in blood, but MID means nothing to me.
  4. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Hello to all,

Thank you mietagosia for asking this question. I have been visiting this forum for many months and this thread has finally persuaded me to officially join your ranks. I have answered this question many times as part of my job and I am pleased to be able to share my second language (medicalese) with you. I will try to explain this complicated subject as simply as I can.

It is talking about white blood cells. There are usually five kinds of white blood cells found in the blood stream. In a normal adult about three-fourths are neutrophils, about one-fourth are lymphocytes, and there will be a few of the other three (monocytes, eosinophils and basophils). Each of these cell types also have immature (precursor) forms that are common in the bone marrow, but rare in the blood stream. The “blast” you refer to is a very immature white blood cell and usually only seen in the bone marrow.

Some automated blood cell counting analyzers can determine the relative size of the cells and are only able to identify neutrophils and lymphocytes. These analyzers group everything that is not either a neutrophil or a lymphocyte into a category called “MID” meaning "mid-range" but I call it “somewhere in the middle” because these cells are between neutrophils and lymphocytes in size.

My guess is you have seen this phrase on a lab report. It is designed to let the doctors know what kinds of cells are possible in the “mid” category. Most of the time the doctors are content with this basic information. If he/she wants to know specifically what kind of cells they are, someone like myself will look at the blood through a microscope to identify them.

By the way, there are are also analyzers that can differentiate all five basic white blood cell types, eliminating the need for the "mid" category completely.

Hope I helped a little :)

~~ Laura
  5. maxiogee Banned

Good work, Laura.
    Nice to have a jargon-buster around when you need one.
    if I send you my hospital file will you translate it for me? :D
  6. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Thanks for the vote of confidence :D The medical field does have its own language, doesn't it? I'm always glad for the opportunity to try to take some of the mystery out of it.

7. sthakur New Member

India, Hindi
    Namaskar Madam Laura,
    Its a new member in word reference forum, got helpful information from your valuable quote. In fact I have got an investigation report where three terms has been used for differential leukocyte count; LYMF, GRAN & MID. But here I should consider MID as Monocytes & precursors; GRAN being all three Neutrophils, Eosinophils & Basophils.
    Isn't it ? If not so pl. make it clear for me also percursors in MID are for monocytes only or for all WBCs?

Thanks with regards.
  8. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    Welcome to the forum sthakur. I agree that it is a great source of information. I am afraid I cannot answer your question, you might want to start a new thread under leukocyte count. That might attract the right attention. I did not want you to think that your first post was being ignored, but it is definitely a real poser!!:)
  9. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Good morning sthakur and welcome,

As this is more a science question than a language question, I'm not sure a new thread is appropriate. I will answer your question here. :)

The analyzers we used to have here in our laboratory would lump everything that is not a neutrophil or lymphocyte into the "mid" category. Some eosinophils and basophils might find themselves in the granulocyte category but as their numbers are usually very low it is safe to consider the "gran" category as mainly neutrophils.

The cells are differentiated on size alone. As the precursors or immature forms of all the white cells are larger than their mature counterparts, the "mid" category does indeed contain the monocytes, some of the eosinophils, some of the basophils, and if present, the precursors for all the white cell types.

This automated "differential" is designed to give the doctor only a general overview for the distribution of the cell types. The majority of the time it suffices. A manual check of a slide is necessary if the doctor suspects an abnormality. (Note: technology has now advanced to the point that our machine can detect and differentiate all the different cell types including the precursors. Thankfully, I don't have to do as many manual slide reviews anymore)

If you have more questions... feel free to PM. I may be able to dig up some literature for you. Please be patient though, I'm at work and unable to hang out on the forum all day :)
  10. sthakur New Member

India, Hindi
    Thank you Madam Laura for reply & making idea about MID more clear.
    Once again thanks, You can also ask from me about Indian medicine & surgery, if you are interested. (also everybody else who so ever is interested, {specially Tepatria ( thanks for reply)}. Sorry I may not be able reply regularly in coming two weeks, busy in my research work. so pl. don't mind but later or sooner I'll reply.

Regards from heart of INDIA.