middle-aged/elderly/old

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by aldana_mara, May 9, 2007.

1. aldana_mara Senior Member

argentina spanish
    is there any difference between middle aged people, elderly people, and old people?

2. newzamt Senior Member

Minneapolis, MN
    English, USA
    Middled aged is for roughly 40-60 years old.

Elderly is around 75 and up.

Old people used colloquially could either mean 65 and up, or anyone much older than the speaker. It can also sound somewhat derogatory.

3. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    I think:
    middle aged is consider 30 - 40
    old probably 55-65
    elderly 75 and up
    I don't think there is too much different between old and elderly:eek: .
    and the rest you know,

Here is an article:
    Middle Aged People Becoming Addicted to Pain Medication
    March 18, 2004

News Summary

The aches and pains of an aging population are leading to a growing pill addiction among people in their 30s and 40s, the Chicago Daily Herald reported March 15.

4. aldana_mara Senior Member

argentina spanish
    thank you so much people

5. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    You are welcome, I enclosed an article about middle aged.

6. aldana_mara Senior Member

argentina spanish
    thanks mirlo i'll have a look at that.:thumbsup:

7. ganacka Senior Member

USA - American English
    For the record, I agree much more with newzamt's definition. Middle aged = 40-60 (but even 40 is on the young side for middle aged). Elderly is over 70. People between the ages of 60 and 70 don't fall comfortably into either of these categories. Old has a less specific definition and can definitely be derogatory.

8. ctiona New Member

English - USA
    From "The upregulation of TNF alpha production is not a generalised phenomenon in the elderly between their sixth and seventh decades of life"

• elderly: 60-70
    • middle-aged: 36-59
    • young: 20-35

From "Middle age and aging: a reader in social psychology":

• only among those over 65 is there a tendency to identify themselves as "old" or "elderly" (it looks like "old" and "elderly" are pretty much the same)
    • The book presents evidence that people regard themselves as middle-aged when they realize they can no longer identify themselves as part of the younger generation, or because of an awareness of physical vulnerability.
    • One person said "middle age" began at 50 and "old" age at 70 but another at 40 and 60 respectively.

• forty to sixty are typically considered to be middle-aged, for some persons middle age begins as young as thirty and for others middle age is not perceived as ending until age seventy-five.

According to Adulthood - Life Stages:

• ages forty to sixty are typically considered to be middle-aged,
    • but for some persons middle age begins as young as thirty and for others middle age is not perceived as ending until age seventy-five.

No links posted, because I was not allowed!