Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Riveritos, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Riveritos Senior Member

Could anybody tell me the difference between لبن and لحليب
    Are those synonyms? or are applicable to different types of milk?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Layla_N Junior Member

English (US)
    حليب (Haliib) is the standard word for "milk", whereas لبن (laban) is the word for "milk" in Egypt. But outside Egypt, لبن means "yogurt."
  3. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    In Classical Arabic: اللبن is milk, whereas الحليب is fresh milk or milk that has not become thick while yogurt is روب.

In MSA: الحليب is milk and اللبن is yogurt. In colloquial dialects, it depends on the dialect - some use حليب ولبن some use لبن وروب and some use حليب وروب.

I don't know when the meaning shifted, or if the CA meaning was universal to start with; I'm basing this on dictionaries (classical vs. modern).
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    This might be the case in colloquial dialects, but is certainly not the case in Fus7a.

And let us not forget زبادي in Egyptian for Yoghurt.
  5. Wadi Hanifa

Wadi Hanifa Senior Member

حليب, روب and لبن mean three different things for us.

حليب is milk.
    لبن is liquid yoghurt (the type you drink, similar to "buttermilk")
    روب is "proper" solid yoghurt.
  6. Noon9

Noon9 Junior Member

Abu Dhabi
    Both حليب and لبن are used for milk but i noticed that only the older generation like my grandmother and people her age use the word لبن instead of حليب.
  7. shafaq Senior Member

. لَبَنٌ an extract that gets out of living creature's body, milk .

.حليب any thing-especially liquid- extracted by unreeling/milking action; milk.
  8. barkoosh Senior Member

It depends on the Arab country. For example, in Lebanon, حليب is milk; لبن is yogurt. In Egypt, لبن is milk while yogurt is زبادي.