1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

min / mins (abbreviation for minute)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by mayflyaway, Feb 3, 2006.

1. mayflyaway Senior Member

English (USA)
    Is it possible to abbreviate minute and minutes in Spanish as in English? For instance, minute becomes min and minutes become mins.

Thanks,
    MFA

2. blancalaw

blancalaw Senior Member

Detroit, Michigan
    USA, English
    Yes you can, as shown on this site.

If you scroll down to revoluciones por minuto, it says r/min

3. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    The official way to abbreviate minute and minutes in México is min for both of them. However, you'll see both min and mins in common practice.

Greetings

4. mayflyaway Senior Member

English (USA)
    Thank you blancalaw! err, and ILT!
    mfa.

5. Jellby

Jellby Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    "Minute" is a unit of measure. Units of measure have standard abbreviations, and they don't change in plural nor have a final period (unless it belongs to the sentence). The correct abbreviation for minute(s) is "min", for second(s) it's "s" (not "sec"), for litre(s) it's "l" or "L" (not "lt"), for gram(s) it's "g" (not "gr" or "grm"), etc.

6. esl student Senior Member

Mexico
    Spanish-Mexico
    Hello everyone!

This time my question is related to the abbrevation of the word minutes, should I abbreviated min. or mins.? since it's plural.

My guess is mins. example: 5 mins.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hola:

Minutos = min (es un símbolo, luego es invariable en plural y se escribe sin punto). Esto es para el español, pero ¿te refieres al inglés?

Saludos.

8. esl student Senior Member

Mexico
    Spanish-Mexico
    Creo que leí que eso es en español, pero no es si es lo mismo en inglés. Porque he visto que en inglés lo usan como abreviación y lo escriben mins.

9. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Sí, como digo eso es para el español. Pero, por lo que sé, lo mismo vale para el inglés: min (sin 's'). Pero también he encontrado bastantes veces: mins.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  10. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    I'd agree with Blasita. All units, be they kg, m, s, W, or min should stay the same, regardless of whether they refer to a singular or plural quantity. But as Blasita says, it's common to see people use mins, kgs, and some other units.