Ministerio de Poder Popular

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by gloriamowat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. gloriamowat Member

Scotland Spanish
    Alguien puede ayudarme con la suguiente oracion que viene en una acta de matrimonio? :

República Bolivariana de Venezuela. Ministerio del Poder Popular para Relaciones Interiores y Justicia.

Mi intento es:

Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. Ministry of ---------Home Office and Justice.

Agradezco mucho su ayuda, ya no tengo neuronas despues de 2 hojas como ésta
  2. David Senior Member

What a problem!

In Spanish, what in English are called the 3 branches of a presidential government--legislative, executive, and judicial--are called poderes, "powers." Here Chávez has invented something called the Poder Popular, literally the "People's Power" (Cf., e.g., "People´s Republic of China," República Popular de China.) which doesn't make much sense if translated as the "People's Branch" or "People's Power." Then, he has taken the common Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, "Ministry of Foreign Relations," as a model and come up with Ministerio de Relaciones Interiores y Justicia. The "relations" referred to in Min. of Foreign Relations are the relations among one country and others, but it is hard to know who or what are the participants in interior relations, and how that term relates to Justice.

I suspect this is a new name for what is often called the Ministerio de Gobierno y Justicia or some such, but I don't know Venezuelan history. Given the impossibility of finding suitable translations for Poder Popular and Interior Relations, I suggest you leave it as is and follow it with a literal translation:

Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.
    Ministerio del Poder Popular para Relaciones Interiores y Justicia.
    [literally, "Ministry of the People's Power for Interior Relations and Justice."--T.N.]​

Let the reader try to guess what the H--- it´s supposed to mean.
  3. gloriamowat Member

Scotland Spanish
    Excellent! thank you very much. I have even contacted a Venezuelan friend who told me in short " CHAVEZ! ////////.... has invented that" .

I am going to do as you have suggested.
    Mil gracias.
  4. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    David, that is a really superior translation. Check your inbox, please. I add my thanks.
  5. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    But wouldn´t Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores translate as Ministry of Foreign Affairs. And therefore Ministerio de Relaciones Interiores y Justicia could be expressed as Ministry of Internal Affairs and Justice?
  6. gloriamowat Member

Scotland Spanish
    I think it could. I did this translation 2 months ago and left it as above.
  7. David Senior Member

Actually, I don´t think so.

Relaciones Exteriores refers to the relations between various governments. I suspect that here they mean the relations among and between the national government, the provincial governments, the local governments, etc., as are in other Latin American countries under the Ministerio de Gobierno (el presi bota a los gobernadores y nombra a nuevos, que botan a los alcaldes y nombran a otros y así hasta llegar donde la señora barrendera de la Escuela República de Ukraína. But "Interior Affairs" could be anything. I think actually it would be "Ministry of Inter-governmental Relations in a Federal system, but since the whole idea of the new name is to proclaim some glorious new wave of post-modern bureaucracy, it´s probably a waste of time to try to figure out what "the" translation is.

But as for Ministerio del Poder Popular, aren´t all "democracies" and "parliamentary" systems and "constitutional monarchies" in theory based on the "consent of the governed," the "authority of the people"? Whether they are or not is a political question, not a translation question. El camarada quiere llamarlo "The Popular Power," pues que así sea, y que los venezolanos se encarguen...
  8. gloriamowat Member

Scotland Spanish
    Well the answer was given not directly form me but from a UK native citizen. I have done the translation thank you for your interest, I am not from Venezuela neither. One characteristic of languages is that they are alive, the way people use them keep changing with time, that is evolution.
  9. David Senior Member

No se trata de ciudadanía, ni de diplomas, ni de títulos, sino de bilingualismo... Pero las opiniones varían, por eso no todos los helados son de chocolate, ni tampoco todos de vainilla...