Misplaced advertisements

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Giordano Bruno, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Giordano Bruno

Giordano Bruno Senior Member

English, England
    I doubt that I'm the only one who finds the Hot Daily Deals advertisement in the top right hand corner of the screen most annoying. It makes it very difficult to enter ones username and password. Could it be made movable?

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    There is a link you will find at the bottom of the column on the right side of the definition page: It tells you how to make a useful report to the administrator, mkellogg. (I can't find a similar link on the forum pages.)

He is anxious to avoid obtrusive advertising. See his comments in this thread.It includes links to previous threads on the subject, which he also has contributed to.

I don't have your problem when I use this website, but ads like the one you describe have been appearing on another website I frequent. They are extremely annoying. :cool:

3. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I have not seen this advertisement myself. Are you sure it's an advertisement that is in fact placed on our WordReference forum homepage, and not some nasty pop-up from a virus or malware infection on your computer? If you see the same advertisement in the same place on your screen when you're using other websites, or when you're already logged in to WR, then it could well be a malware infection.

But if you think it's a poorly-placed ad from the banner that displays at the top of the forum when you're logged out, then the next time you see it, please follow the same instructions that you would normally use to report an offensive advertisement in the WordReference dictionary. Just skip step 3 about the ad network code. To my knowledge -- and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken -- there isn't a way to access the ad network code for ads displayed on the forums when you're signed out. (The code "Ad Network US-0" visible in bold font at my link above is the one for the advertisement I randomly clicked in the dictionary in order to be able to give you the clickable link to reporting instructions; it is not relevant for the annoying Hot Daily Deals advertisement you mention.)

EDIT: Cagey must type faster than I do! :)