1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

misscall

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by Cagey, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Term: (A word or expression you have seen in writing)
    misscall
    also: miss-call, miss call
    Your definition or explanation:
    (verb) To make a telephone call hanging up quickly after the first or second ring before they answer, using the call itself as a signal that they should call you.

Usage: colloquial contexts.
    Example: (An example of the term in use)
    [From a forum discussion of a Czech word that means 'to call someone and hang up after the first ring, so that they will call you back' ~ a way to save money on phone bills.]​
    In India we will just say misscall for it.
    “Give me a misscall, and I will call you back”

Posted by: JP Varma on May 31st, 2009 at 6:02 pm http://www.altalang.com/beyond-words/2008/10/12/ten-most-difficult-words-to-translate/
    One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)
    ikyellow...what is your phone no? mine is 012-xxxxxxxx ....misscall me would you? i'll be coming up tomorrow morning .... (May 1, 2006) Official Launching for Team 99'ers
    Jan 20, 2010 ... Welcome to the official Facebook Page of DON'T miss call me and expect me to waste MY credit calling you back!!!!! ...DON'T miss call me and expect me to waste MY credit calling you ...
    I just don't get it why can't she even misscall me back. We've got online via skype last week(after me making the effort to tell her to get on) and i've ... Does it mean anything if my girlfriend ignores me this way? - Help.com
    See also this English Only thread: To Misscall

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes __:tick:__ No ___

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US