1. pazza_ragazza

pazza_ragazza Senior Member

Spanish
    ¡Hola! Me gustaría saber cómo decir "mitomanía" o "mitómano" en inglés. ¡Muchas gracias!
    Mitomanía: dícese de una persona que miente en exceso, usualmente considerado como una enfermedad

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. Jammin' Junior Member

Montreal
    English Canada
    Bueno, una persona que miente siempre, normalmente sin control se llama "a pathological liar"

3. eesegura Senior Member

Kansas City, Missouri
    USA/English
    mitomania = mythomania en inglés
    mitómano = mythomaniac en inglés:
    myth·o·ma·ni·a n. A compulsion to embroider the truth, engage in exaggeration, or tell lies.

Es más o menos lo que dijo jammin'.

Saludos

4. LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen Senior Member

Washington, DC
    English - USA
    Mythomaniac is the medical term, but almost no one will know what it means.

Everyone says "pathological liar" like Jammin' said.

5. pazza_ragazza

pazza_ragazza Senior Member

Spanish
    Thanks guys!! :D

6. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Weeell, what do you mean almost no one will know? I don't say pathological liar for one, I do say mythomaniac and so do many people I know. Be careful with those blanket generalizations.

7. LoveFifteen

Washington, DC
    English - USA
    Um, but aren't you a native speaker of Spanish who lives in one of the most Latin parts of our country? :confused:

8. mullet57

mullet57 Senior Member

South East Florida
    US English
  9. Prometo

Prometo Senior Member

Bohemia
    USA English
    The very idea that someone "who lives in one of the most Latin parts of the country" is automatically disqualified to express his or her own perceived knowledge of English usage is preposterous.

Is it that being a "native speaker of Spanish" make a person less "intelligent" in your opinion? ;)

10. LoveFifteen

Washington, DC
    English - USA
    Well, thanks for that insightful response. You're definitely on the right track! :rolleyes:

If he's a native speaker of Spanish living among many other people of Latin origin, then maybe, just maybe, he's more likely to know the word mythomaniac because of it's incredible similarity to the Spanish word mitomano.

He himself stated that he never uses the word "pathological liar", but instead uses the word mythomaniac. I would say that 90+% of North Americans have never even heard the word mythomaniac.

11. LoveFifteen

Washington, DC
    English - USA
    Maybe I'm not making myself clear. Moritzchen said he doesn't use the word "pathological liar". Instead he "and all his friends" use the word mythomaniac. Is that even remotely representative of English speakers (except maybe mental health professionals)? I guarantee you that 99 out of 100 English speakers have no idea what mythomaniac means, but I bet you almost all know what a pathological liar is.

12. E180 Junior Member

England, English
    I have never heard of mythomania either, but maybe I just have a limited vocabulary...

"Pathological liar" is what most people round these parts would say too.

13. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    The original question by pazza_ragazza whas how do you say "mitomanía" or "mitómano" in English. eesegura provided the answer.
    Then Lovefifteen explained it was a medical term, well, so is "hiccups".
    I learned both words in college at the same time while taking Classic Languages, they have their root in the "old" Greek, and so does "pathological".
    I generally don´t use any of those words, unless the occasion arises. A pathological liar as I understand it is someone who lies to obtain some personal benefit. If I need to I may use "scammer", "schemer" or liar. A mythomaniac I believe is a compulsive liar. Has no choice but to lie. If I need to, then I use the word, and if I´m talking to my buds in Spanish I´ll use the word "fabulero" which is not accepted but they understand it.
    Now Lovefifteen states she is a paralegal in her profile, so I guess she deals with professionals who have completed their formal education, perhaps she should ask one of them, just for the heck of it if they know what "mythomaniac" means. As for her statements that I "never" say, and that "all my friends", please go back to post #6.

14. LoveFifteen

Washington, DC
    English - USA
    LoveFifteen is a male.

A pathological liar is a compulsive liar who has no choice but to lie. In fact, a pathological liar may even believe that his lies are true. It is a synonym for mythomaniac.

15. psychodelika star

psychodelika star Senior Member

español
    OK, Who is next?, well at least pazza_ragazza got an answers, then she or he will chose what's better for her/him and what she/he wants to say

16. Slyder

Slyder Senior Member

I'm spanish, but I think that both words are used. "Mythomaniac" and "pathological liar". What I wonder is which of those words sounds more polite?.

:confused:

17. spanishtoenglish Senior Member

USA English
    How would you say mitómano in English in the other sense the RAE gives: "Tendencia a mitificar o a admirar exageradamente a personas o cosas"?

18. stickyfloor Senior Member

Mexico
    English - Vancouver, Canada
    I'm also wondering about this meaning of the translation of mitómano. I am translating a text in which an actress says that she's no mitómana, but for her having a drink with George Clooney after work was quite stunning. Now I know that pathological liar definitely doesn't work in this case, but does mythomaniac work? I was thinking that star-struck might also work in this context, though was hoping for a more general word.

Thanks

19. Culciambo

Culciambo Senior Member

Colombia
    Spanish - Colombia
    First of all, I have to admit that I didn't know the above meaning but in accordance to its definition, I would say that it has some synonyms like "endiosar", "deificar", "idealizar" e "idolatrar". This makes me think that these translations would be appropriate: to deify, to idealize, to apotheosize, to idolize and to glorify. Being "idolatry" the very closest in my opinion to what you requested.

I don't know how this sounds to you english-speakers but the definitions are pretty similar so this is why I came across these translations.

20. stickyfloor Senior Member

Mexico
    English - Vancouver, Canada
    To my English speaker mind, the words from your list which sound best (or most used) to me woul be to idealize, to glorify andto idolize. Thank you for your input. Nonetheless, I still have the problem that mitómano/ais an adjective, so I am really looking for adjectives here. However, your suggestins give me the idea of I'm not one to glorify/idolize others as another possible translation for what I have been working on.