1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Mix, mixed bunch

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Apr 6, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    How do you translate mix ? Can you use it metaphorically?

In Dutch:
    - mengen > het mengsel
    - mixen is - which seems funny - cutting and while cutting blending, e.g. soup vegetables
    - gemengde gevoelens: mixed emotions.

There is also the idea of a mixed bunch, or of a mixed bag, all kinds of things not belonging together, but there are other words for that :
    - allegaartje (all gathered, brought together - diminutive)
    - ratjetoe (ratatouille in French), potpourri
    - samenraapsel ( a loose collection, too loose a collection of things picked up and brought together,)
    - amalgaam

See also: to mix up...

It seems as if purity is valued higher...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic, we don't use it metaphorically

The root خ ل ط /kh-l-t/ is used for things related to mixing:

mixture/mix: خليط /khaleet/
    mixed: مختلط /mukhtalet/
    mixing: خلط /khalt/
    mixer: خلاط /khallat/
    to mix: خلط /khalata/
    to be mixed: اختلط /ikhtalat/

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks. I suppose you use other expressions for mixed bags and confusion, the way we do for mixing up things. (I thought amalgam was Arabic, but the meaning is not so much a mixture, as something soft, so it seems)

Interesting link: khaleet
    , and other words...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. ahmedcowon Senior Member

I don't think this word is Arabic (The "hard g" sound is not exist in Arabic)

5. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

Μix (noun): Neut. noun «μίγμα» & «μείγμα» ['miɣma] (both spellings are common) < Classical neut. noun «μίγμα» mígmă & «μεῖγμα» meîgmă (PIE *meiǵ-/*meiḱ-, to mix).
    Mixing: Fem. noun «μίξη» & «μείξη» ['miksi] (both spellings are common) < Classical 3rd declension fem. noun «μίξις» míksis & «μεῖξις» meîksis (PIE *meiǵ-/*meiḱ-, to mix).
    Mix (verb): «Μειγνύω» [mi'ɣni.o] < Classical v. «μείγνυμι» meígnumĭ & «μειγνύω» meignúō & «μίσγω» mísgō (PIE *meiǵ-/*meiḱ-, to mix).

Ancient Greeks used the adj. «μειξοβάρβαρος» meiksŏbắrbarŏs (masc.) for the offspring of half barbarian-half Greek ancestry. The feminine form, «μειξοβάρβαρος» meiksŏbắrbarŏs described the creole language developed from the mixing of Greek with another language.
    In Modern Greek, any person of mixed descent is called «μιγάς» & «μειγάς» [mi'ɣas] (masc. & fem.).
    In maths, complex numbers are called «μιγαδικοί» [miɣaði'ci] (masc. nominative pl.), «μιγαδικός» [miɣaði'kos] (masc. nom. sing.).
    The Fr. métis is also translated into Greek as «μιγαδικός» [miɣaði'kos].
    Actually you're right, it's not Arabic, it's from the ancient Gr. v. «μαλάσσω» mălássō which gave the neut. noun «μάλαγμα» mắlagmă --> emollient, padding made of soft material (especially of gold) > Latin malagma > Late Latin corrupted form amalgama (PIE *mel-, soft, weak)

6. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    in hebrew we have several words
    לערבב le'arbev
    למהול limhol (liquids)
    לבלבל levalbel (also: to confuse)
    ערבוב irbuv.

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Do irbuv and le'arbev have a common root, Arielipi? What is their specific meaning?

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    oh lol, youre right. I went to morfix after limhol, and simply wrote everything appeared there. irbuv is general mix, but more concrete on solid-state (opposed to liquids) things

EDIT: Also, id like to correct about limhol - it is simply pour a liquid into another.
    ערבול irbul is the right one for liquids.
    also theres לבחוש livkhosh which is used for cooking( when you "mix" the flour with stuff and like that)
    and טריפה trifa which is like saying aggressively[=with all force]/[=mixing every bit, nothing is left unmixed] mixing stuff; trifa holds a bad connotation, because the things mixed have no choice or power or will to not be mixed.

EDIT 2: we have a slang word לסבן lesaben which is mainly used for "using soap" but can also mean to mix someone up[=like telling him something not true and he believes it] to gain something or to get the one mixed up to lose something.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  9. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    Tamil :
    kala (to mix)
    kalapadam (Adulteration)

Kuzhai(to mix it well and soft, like over cooked rice)

Arabic seems to be a false friend. :)

10. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    In Turkish

karıştır : "to mix, to stir". It's also "to get confused"

kat: to add, to mix

ekle: to join, to append

11. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

směs, směsice, směska (mix, noun) from the verb smísiti, prefix s- (con-) + mísiti (to mix), related to Lat. miscere, OHG miscan (mischen), Gr. μίσγω;

všehochuť (lit. all-flavors) = a motley collection, potpourri (e.g. literature, musical, ...);

mišmaš = mishmash, hotchpotch;

mix (= směs) from English/Latin; hence the verb mixovati (= to liquidize) by means of kuchyňský mixer (= kitchen blender/liquidizer);

mixtura from Latin = 1. mixture (pharmacy, alchemy, ...) 2. an organ stop;

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  12. mataripis Senior Member

In Tagalog, the common term is "Paghaluin" (in liquids and recipe ingredients) while in solid objects/things the common term is "pagsamahin"(not in order) or "ipatas" (in order). The southern Tagalog has another term for this and it is "Paglahukin" (ingredients). 1.) Mixed objects/things= magkakasamang gamit 2.) Mixture of ingredients= Magkalahok na sangkap or Magkahalong Sangkap 3.) Mixture of race= Magkakahalong lahi etc. But there are special terms that are not common to many Filipinos .These are 1.) Bantuan- adding cool liquid to one container or pot with boiling fluid. 2.) lagyan- place or put object or thing in an empty space or container 3.) Dagdagan= adding ingredients/objects to previously filled containers. 1 and 3 can be considered as an act of mixing new and old ingredients.

13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    It is interesting to see that mixing can be viewed in so many different ways. I wonder why one is distinguished from the other, but maybe that is the case in other (European) languages too. There even seems to be a difference between mixing hot and cold food, so it seems. Surprising...

In ., 2., 3. there seems to be a common root, or am I mistaken?

14. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    In Swedish the word for mix is blanda, and can be use for both concrete things and for emotions.
    Blanda samman - mix together; or mix up
    Degblandare, cementblandare - dough mixer, concrete mixer
    Blandade grönsaker - mixed vegetables
    Blandade känslor - mixed emotions

There is also the word röra, that sometimes can be used for to mix, to stir, but röra is more used when talking about mess, clutter, hotchpotch.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  15. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew

well, one might say exactly the same on english... why have so many different words for good looking?
    My guess is that here in the semitic area farming was so vital they made words for each and every thing that was important to live, mixing things is important.
    Theres also another mix - though it is mix in hebrew but not in english - in english it would be integrate, fit in - להשתלב lehishtalev.

16. luitzen Senior Member

Netherlands
    Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon
    In Frisian it is 'minge' and the examples you all gave do not really exist in Frisian. We also have the form griemmank(seltsje) which can be more readily used for the when you want a mix to mean a mess, but it's not that common or easily applicable. A more idiomatic expression would probably be better in place.

But what we can say is "jin yn eat minge" (lit. to mix oneself into something), which means to get involved in something (Ik ming my yn dit triedsje=I'm getting involved in this thread).

17. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Maybe 'mess' refers to 'mixture', but it only refers to 'mittere', to put, in Latin. No link, though it seems to refer to a pot for one meal (so a mixture, I thought)...

18. luitzen Senior Member

Netherlands
    Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I was talking about a mix as being a mess, so thoroughly mixed. I'm not implying a relationship between those words.

19. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I did not mean anything really except that for a second I thought that 'mess' might be related with 'mix' etymologically speaking, but that appeared not to be true...

20. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I have just come across a French equivalent.There is mélange, mixture; but there is also mêlée (au-dessus de la mêlée), which suggests entanglement, scramble in English. The latter is again something like mxiing, and reminds of impurities, messes, etc., which seems often implied when one of those terms is used.

21. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In themeantime I keep wondering about mixing and mixing up, confusing. I have not found that link in non-Germanic languages, I think. I did think of French confondre (melt together) and confuse in English (fusion seems stronger than mixing), but those are not linked with mixing...

I also wondered about the... essence of mixing: it can be heterogeneous or homogeneous, so it seems, but some minimum of unity seems necessary, it seemsto me. Putting together is not yet mixing, I think. But I suppose the concept of mixing is clear in any language…