1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

modelled vs modeled

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by logic, Apr 11, 2007.

1. logic Senior Member

Basqueland
    I have seen both options... what is more appropriate?

the electrical circuit can be modeled with resistors, inductors and capacitors

or

the electrical circuit can be modelled with resistors, inductors and capacitors

2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    It depends on your audience. "Modelled" is the British spelling; "modeled" is the US spelling.

3. logic Senior Member

Basqueland
    thank u a lot :) !!

4. Morpioniste New Member

English- British
    I realise this is an old thread an probably no-one but me cares about this subject any more, but 'The Oxford Guide to English Usage' (1983) states that consonants should generally be doubled where the stress is on the final vowel sound and it is a single vowel. In this case, the stress is not on the final vowel, so strictly, the correct English (British) spelling would be 'modeled'.

5. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    No. The letter 'l' is an exception, hence normal BE spellings 'levelled', 'travelled', and so on even though the stress is not immediately before the 'l'.

6. kalamazoo Senior Member

US, English
    But in AmE, apparently the letter "l" is not an exception, so we write "modeled" and "traveled" and so forth.