modo di vivere figlio dell'organizzazione del lavoro

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Ireeeneee, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Ireeeneee Junior Member

Italian
    Ciao!

la frase che devo tradurre e':
    "Il concetto di ritardo non esisteva perche e' un modo di vivere figlio dell'organizzazione del lavoro ideata da Taylor"

il mio tentativo:

the concept of Delay didn't exist because it's a way of living derived from the Taylor labour organization

suggerimenti?
    Grazie
    irene

2. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
  3. Ireeeneee Junior Member

Italian
    Si tratta di un articolo riguardante la percezione del tempo, in particolarare si parla del fatto che il concetto di ritardo è nato molto di recente nella storia dell'uomo.

Spero che questo possa aiutare.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  4. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    The concept of delay didn't exist as a way of life since it ...

Mi sembra strano dire che il ritardo sia un modo di vivere. Comunque, non capisco l'ultima parte della frase - l'organizzazione di che tipo di lavoro?

5. Pat (√2) Senior Member

Italia
    Italiano
    Taylorism. Scientific management :)

6. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

This "modo di vivere" seems odd to me, as it does to others. I wonder if standard practice might render the idea:

The concept of delay as standard practice did not previously exist, having sprung from Taylor's vision of the organisation of work.

7. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    Standard practice is a better option - it makes the meaning clearer :thumbsup:

Thanks for the context v2 :)

8. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    I came across this thread by chance...

I think "ritardo" here is better translated as "lateness"; "il concetto di ritardo" means the idea of being late. It means that farmers working in the fields don't have the same obligations of punctuality as workers in a factory (shift times, use of machines etc.). We say that a worker was penalised for lateness, not delay.
    Normally I'd translate "modo di vivere" as "way of life", but here it clearly means a mentality. My attempt:

The idea of lateness did not exist because it is a way of thinking born of work organization as envisaged by Taylor.

The original sentence is badly written because a concept cannot be a way of life. We could also say "it is part of a way of life born..."

Personally I believe the cotton mill bosses of the 1800s insisted as much as Taylor (1911) on the need for punctuality!:D

9. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hi Einstein :)

While I agree that "delay" isn't the right word here, I'm not sure that "lateness" sounds quite right to me. How about "lack of punctuality"?

The concept/idea of lack of punctuality did not previously exist being intrinsic to/having originated from Taylor's vision of work organisation

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    I might offer "The concept of being bound to punctuality by the clock did not exist as a way of thinking until it was born of work organization as envisaged by Taylor."

And I might add I completely agree with Einstein's take on this one. My suggestion is just a different way of expressing the his thought.

Phil

11. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Hi Elfa:) Hmm... "Lack of punctuality" is the right idea, but doesn't it sound a bit long? From a Google search I get 33 hits for "dismissal for lateness" and none for "dismissal for lack of punctuality". I think lateness is a normal enough word.
    Your sentence,
    would not change its meaning if we put simply "the idea of punctuality" (more or less as MR1492 suggests). What do you think?:)

12. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hi again :)

We're not talking about "dismissal" here though. :) I like "punctuality" to mean "lack of punctuality" :thumbsup: and, for the record, I don't have a problem with "concept"! :)

13. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    My elimination of "concept" was only for brevity, I have no problem with it either.:)
    I know we're not talking about dismissal, but it's a typical context. By the way, my Word Thesaurus gives, as the opposite of punctuality, precisely "lateness". Still, I think we'll have to agree to disagree about this...:)

14. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    How about a meeting in the middle? ...the concept of being late did not previously exist...
    Would that work?

15. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Anything for peace!:D Seriously though, yes, it would work. OK?:)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  16. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Ha ha :D