1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Molto Bravo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Otter, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Ciao everyone,

I'm wondering about the range of interpretations of "Molto Bravo" and how to use it. The WordReference dictionary describes it as "peachy guy".

When I was in Italy, an Italian woman used this term to describe a mutual friend of ours. . . a man. And I told him she had said this.

So, can I use it before his name in a salutation, such as "Ciao Molto Bravo Gianni" or perhaps just "Ciao Molto Bravo". Would "Ciao Molto Bravo say, "Hi Peachy Guy"?

Thanks so much.

2. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    Absolutely not! ;)
    Here's what I found on my dictionary about "bravo", which has lots of possibile translations:

bravo
    aggettivo
    (abile, capace) clever, skilful, capable: un bravo tecnico, a skilful technician; (esperto) fine, good, experienced: una brava cuoca, an experienced cook.
    (onesto, dabbene) good, nice, decent, honest: un brav'uomo, a good man, an honest man; il tuo amico è una brava persona, your friend is a decent person.
    (coraggioso, valente) brave, valorous.
    (buono, tranquillo: rif. a bambini) good, quiet: sii bravo mentre la mamma è fuori, be good while Mummy is out.
    (‹esclam›) well done: bravo, hai preso un bel voto, well done, you've got a good mark; (a teatro) bravo: bene, bravo, bis, fine, bravo, encore.
    (‹fam›) (rafforzativo) good, precious, spesso non si traduce: se non dorme le sue brave dieci ore, non è soddisfatto, if he doesn't sleep his precious ten hours, he's not happy.

As soon as you'll draw your conclusions , I'll answer to your questions!;)

3. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Thanks.

Well, then, I guess I have no idea what the Italian woman meant in describing our mutual friend that way.

So what does the dictionary mean by "peachy guy"? And how would I translate that into a salutation?

4. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    Maybe she just wanted to tell you he's a nice guy, reliable and so on...
    And I am still thinking about translating that into a salutation, 'cause I really don't have idea...

5. Auno Senior Member

Australia - English
    Quinn,

As I'm sure you know, "peachy" is very idiomatic. It wouldn't be used in BE or AuE - perhaps even certain parts/strata of the US. So trading idiom for idiom can be difficult.

If you were speaking on this level, then in my experience/observation "guy" would be 'ragazzo'. For "peachy", probably 'fantastico' or 'eccellente'

6. Giannaclaudia

Giannaclaudia Senior Member

Brianza
    Italian
    A scuola le ragazze dicono:
    "Ciao bellissimo!"
    Even if the guy isn't handsome.

7. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Thanks Auno,

I guess I'm looking for an idiom that would mean the same thing as "peachy guy". 'fantastico' or 'eccelllente' seem, scusami, a little "ordinary".

8. Auno Senior Member

Australia - English
    No worries. Capisco.

Will take this opportunity to say:

Tuesday should be molto interessante for certain ragazzi here.

9. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Thanks.

I assume you're talking World Cup? Yes. Exciting for many here, I would say, including myself..

10. Auno Senior Member

Australia - English
    Si, certamente.

I'm not sure if people appreciate the extent to which Au's are a bit 'sports mad', to a point that is hard to explain - there have been documentaries even, on the subject. Ah well...

Anyway, let's see how we go. And of course... the Azzurri.

11. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    You guys are way off topic..

Quinn, erase from your mind that Molto Bravo equals peachy guy :). First of all, the noun is missing in the Italian, so at best it was suggesting that a "peachy guy" could be described as "un uomo molto bravo."

12. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Ciao,

Grazie.

Maybe we could get "peachy guy" edited out as the translation of "Molto Bravo" in the WordReference English/Italian dictionary?