1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

monstranmus

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by amina36, Apr 5, 2013.

1. amina36 New Member

Arabic
    Hi,
    Can you please help with a definition of this word and with the reference so that I can cite it?
    Thanks!

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello amina36.

monstranmus seems to me to contain a spelling error. Please tell us where you saw it and give the complete sentence for context.

You are welcome to post in any language in the Latin forum, but if the original sentence is in Arabic, it would be good to post an English translation as well as the original. More people will be able to help you if you do.

3. amina36 New Member

Arabic
    Hello Cagey:
    I got this word from a title of a play written by Leila Toubel and directed by ezzeddine Ganoun. The Arabic title is , غيلان
    but I guess it is Monsteranums. Thanks.

4. amina36 New Member

Arabic
    [h=1]Hi! I also found it on another site: Monstranum'S. Any help with that title?[/h]

5. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    i searched in Perseus website words containing "anmu" in Latin
    with this answer

Your search for anmu returned no results.

This may be an inflected form of the word. To find the possible dictionary entry forms of this word, check the word study tool for anmu.

In consequence I think this word is not Latin

6. Kevin Beach

Kevin Beach Senior Member

De-monstranmus appear two or three times in a Google search. Could it be a variant of that?

7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    When I follow through on the Google citations, I find that the citation is a Google scanning error for demonstravimus. Google has misread a blurred vi as n.

For instance:

Caius Julius Caesar ad codices Parisinos recensitus cum varietate ... - Page 2
    ( By Jules César, Achaintre)
    Google's citation: De- monstranmus. Non ipsam rem nar- ravit, sed aliquid, c. 4, attigit, quod eo pertinere potest.
    Actual text: De-monstravimus [= demonstravimus The hyhen marks a break in the word that carries on to the next line.)

As for Monstranum'S, which appears on several sites that apparently refer to the play you are asking about, I don't recognize it as Latin.

8. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    The Latin alphabet title of the play seems to be Monstranum'S. At least, that's what the French-language websites call it. It's not a Latin word.

Some of the characters are treated as monsters, so that explains the beginning of the name. No idea if the second half of the name means anything.

9. amina36 New Member

Arabic
    Thank you exgerman. Yes, I think it does not have any other meaning than monsters and so does the other word-Ghaylan (in Arabic it means ghosts).

10. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings all

To make confusum confusius

(What an interesting excercise in "modern" palaeography and textual criticism)

Could the original text have been monstratumst, which would conform with the frequent MS elisions of past participle and est in a perfect passive form?

Σ

11. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I considered the possibility of a Plautine second person es contraction, but I didn't see any reason to assume a reference to the Poenulus just because the play deals with Tunisia.