Month names in MSA

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

MSA:
    لا سأعرف إلى ما بعد آذار

Levantine dialect:

ما رح أعرف حتى (قبل) آذار

Moderator note: This thread was about the negation of the future verb (original here). But a side discussion "happened", so I split it here. Please, everyone, remember to stay on topic.
    Thanks,
    Cherine

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  2. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    in MSA we don't use آذار!!!!! is it typical Levantine month name for March, in MSA it is مارس

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I need to disagree with the last contribution. The Babylonian names for the Julian/Gregorian months have always been used in the Levant and Iraq, and the Roman names have always been used in Egypt and North Africa. You will find both in authors of the Abbasid period, if not earlier.

4. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    As far as I know, Egypt and Gulf countries (a part from Saudi who uses Hijri calendar) use yanayer, febrayar, mars, abril, mayo, younyou, youlyou etc
    Morocco uses berber name for months, Algeria and Tunisia, the French names

So there is no MSA for the months?

Actually there is something funny, my Moroccan friend always though that the months used in Morocco are classical Arabic because in oral they use the French names and writing the berber names.
    I told him in classic we say Aghustus for August he was very surprised

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I think we have had this discussion before. I argued that there is no such thing as “standard” Modern Arabic, given, among other things, local variations in vocabulary, as in this case.

The names for the Julian (now: Gregorian) months have a long history in Arabic. The forms used in Egypt (yanāyir etc.) go back to the mediaeval Greek pronunciation of the Latin month names. The traditional names in North Arfrica (e.g. shutamber) go back to Visigothic Latin. The modern Maghribi names (e.g. zhanfī) are French. And, as mentioned, the names used in Syria, Palestine, Iraq etc. (nisān etc.) are the Syriac names for the Julian months, which go back to the ancient Babylonian names for the roughly corresponding lunar months.

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    There is one Modern Standard Arabic per Arab country. Anyone who denies that would struggle to defend his position. It has been the topic of discussion of other threads.

7. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Comprehensive list:
    -Saudi Arabia is the only country which uses the Hijri calendar as it's official calendar - most (all?) other Arab countries use it alongside the Gregorian calendar.
    - Gaddafi had invented his own (mad) names for the Gregorian months and banned other names in Libya. After the 17 Feb revolution the Libyans adopted the Egyptian names (since they're the most common).

The naming convention which is considered official Standard Arabic, used in that country's government, media, education, etc., is summed up in this table (very carefully compiled to contain no spelling mistakes):

*** Note: The form in brackets is occasionally used in Egypt and the Sudan
    English Egypt / Peninsula (***) Levant / Iraq Algeria / Tunisia Morocco
    Jan يناير كانون الثاني جانفي يناير
    Feb فبراير شباط فيفري فبراير
    Mar مارس آذار مارس مارس
    Apr أبريل نيسان أفريل أبريل
    May مايو أيار ماي ماي
    Jun يونيو (يونية)ـ حزيران جوان يونيو
    Jul يوليو (يولية)ـ تموز جويلية يوليوز
    Aug أغسطس آب أوت غشت
    Sep سبتمبر أيلول سبتمبر شتنبر
    Oct أكتوبر تشرين الأول أكتوبر أكتوبر
    Nov نوفمبر تشرين الثاني نوفمبر نونبر
    Dec ديسمبر كانون الأول ديسمبر دجنبر

8. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Very useful!

You might be interested to know that all of these names (except, of course, for the French-based ones in the third column) can be found already in al-Bīrūnī الآثار الباقية عن القرون الخالية written in AD 1000.

9. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    yeah it is like hotel, in North Africa we will use نزل instead of فندق