Months in Greek

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Mymlan, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Mymlan Junior Member

Swedish
    I wonder which is the most common names for the months of the year, the names ending in - is (= ita+ sigma) or the names ending in -ios (= iota+omikron+sigma).
    Ex. Genaris or Ianouarios, Flevaris or Fevrouarios and so on? Thanks in advance!

2. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

The "-ios" months remain more common despite originating from katharevousa. The "-is" (demotiki) months are a relatively recent insertion in the language. You can encounter them in political speeches, newspaper articles and sometimes in oral speech.

3. Mymlan Junior Member

Swedish
    Thank you, Tassos! Your answer has been very useful.

4. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    Also note that:
    1. For June and July, the -is forms are felt to be artificial, probably because the truly rustic names for those two months were Θεριστής and Αλωνάρης
    2. The other -is forms are quite common when referring just to the month ("το Γενάρη θα πάμε για σκι") but much less so when giving the actual date, in which case they normally ought to be preceded by the definite article ("στις 10 του Φλεβάρη"vs. "στις 10 Φεβρουαρίου")

5. Mymlan Junior Member

Swedish
    Thank you, Angelos, I havn't found these explanations neither in my Greek book nor in my Greek grammar.