Moon pool

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JimmyConstructor, Jan 28, 2012.

1. JimmyConstructor New Member

Dutch, Russian
    Where is the meaning of the word "moon pool" coming from (on a oil rig or Diving Support Vessel)?
    We know what it means, but what is the origin of this phrase?

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Welcome, JimmyConstructor. :)

Please give us a complete sentence using the phrase. (It is a rule of the forum that there should be a sentence with every question.)

I see that you know what 'moon pool' means, and perhaps many of our members do as well. However, I am afraid that I don't. Would you explain it please?

3. JimmyConstructor New Member

Dutch, Russian
    Well in this case a sentence: the diving bell is going down in the "moon pool".

A moon pool is an opening in the floor or base of the hull,platform, or chamber giving access to the water below.
    Link is here
    /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_pool

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hello Jimmy - thank you for teaching me "moon pool": I like it!

As to the origin of the term, the OED's definition of "moon pool" includes the following citation:

1981 ‘D. Rutherford’ Porcupine Basin ii. 30 It was named moon-pool because on calm nights the water under a rig could reflect the moonlight and give the impression of a calm swimming pool.

That suggestion seems plausible:).

5. JimmyConstructor New Member

Dutch, Russian
    Hello, Loob
    Thank You for replying me!
    This seems really plausible, but too obvious, in my opinion...:)
    Are there some kind of ancient English word, which this phrase could take its origin, maybe?

6. grobdash New Member

English
    I don't know if this has any connection to the present use of the term moon pool, but in the early part of the 20th century there was a fantasy writer named Abraham Merritt who wrote a story called "The Moon Pool" in 1918. The story appeared in the All Story Weekly. It was later expanded to a novel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Um, I like your enthusiasm Jimmy, but I really doubt that there's an "ancient English" term for the parts of an oil rig. Our Anglo-Saxon ancestors weren't really well-known for their marine oil extraction technologies. I think the citation given by the OED is probably correct.