1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Moon pool

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JimmyConstructor, Jan 28, 2012.

1. JimmyConstructor New Member

Dutch, Russian
    Where is the meaning of the word "moon pool" coming from (on a oil rig or Diving Support Vessel)?
    We know what it means, but what is the origin of this phrase?

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Welcome, JimmyConstructor. :)

Please give us a complete sentence using the phrase. (It is a rule of the forum that there should be a sentence with every question.)

I see that you know what 'moon pool' means, and perhaps many of our members do as well. However, I am afraid that I don't. Would you explain it please?

3. JimmyConstructor New Member

Dutch, Russian
    Well in this case a sentence: the diving bell is going down in the "moon pool".

A moon pool is an opening in the floor or base of the hull,platform, or chamber giving access to the water below.
    Link is here
    /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_pool

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hello Jimmy - thank you for teaching me "moon pool": I like it!

As to the origin of the term, the OED's definition of "moon pool" includes the following citation:

1981 ‘D. Rutherford’ Porcupine Basin ii. 30 It was named moon-pool because on calm nights the water under a rig could reflect the moonlight and give the impression of a calm swimming pool.

That suggestion seems plausible:).

5. JimmyConstructor New Member

Dutch, Russian
    Hello, Loob
    Thank You for replying me!
    This seems really plausible, but too obvious, in my opinion...:)
    Are there some kind of ancient English word, which this phrase could take its origin, maybe?

6. grobdash New Member

English
    I don't know if this has any connection to the present use of the term moon pool, but in the early part of the 20th century there was a fantasy writer named Abraham Merritt who wrote a story called "The Moon Pool" in 1918. The story appeared in the All Story Weekly. It was later expanded to a novel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Um, I like your enthusiasm Jimmy, but I really doubt that there's an "ancient English" term for the parts of an oil rig. Our Anglo-Saxon ancestors weren't really well-known for their marine oil extraction technologies. I think the citation given by the OED is probably correct.