1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Moral y luces....

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Tonyccs, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Tonyccs

Tonyccs Senior Member

Caracas
    Español de Venezuela (lengua madre), italiano(lingua madre), english(foreign), français (étranger).
    Hola amigos,

Cómo traducirían esta frase de Simón Bolivar?:

"Moral y luces son los polos de una república; moral y luces son nuestras primeras necesidades"

Agradezco sus sugerencias. Sobretodo con "luces". Sé que proviene de iluminación, ilustración y del racionalismo francés pero no ´se como traducirlo dentro de esta frase.

Gracias anticipadas,

tonyccs

2. mary de la loma

mary de la loma Senior Member

USA
    English
    Hola. Morals and enlightenment are the compass/center (?) of a republic. Morals and enlightenment are our first needs.

3. Tonyccs

Tonyccs Senior Member

Caracas
    Español de Venezuela (lengua madre), italiano(lingua madre), english(foreign), français (étranger).
    wow! I couldn´t have figured it out! First time I hear the word enlightment!!! Than you so much mary!
    Wouldn´t it be correct if I put00 put "poles of a republic" instead of center/compass"???

tonyccs

4. mary de la loma

mary de la loma Senior Member

USA
    English
    Hi Tony. Well, in a literal translation, yes, but I'm not sure whether or not people would grasp the meaning of "poles" in its metaphorical sense these days. Though I can feel what Bolivar is saying, I can't come up with the right word. On the one hand, the poles represent the center of the earth, so the word 'foundation' comes to mind. On the other, the poles direct the needle of a compass, so the word 'guide' becomes another possibility. Here's a few more suggestions that might trigger an idea:

underlying principal
    ideal
    beacon
    aim
    lodestar
    map
    guidepost

5. Tonyccs

Tonyccs Senior Member

Caracas
    Once again thank you mary...I think "poles" will be ok. Also in spanish it isn´t likely that many people would grasp "polos de una república". It´s a very abstract collocation, though i think it´s the closest.

gratefully,

tonyccs