1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

more friendly / friendlier

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by tia_tula, May 31, 2006.

1. tia_tula Senior Member

Germany
    Spanish, Spain
    Hi there,
    I would tend to think the correct way would be:
    more slowly and not slowlier...
    but I am not sure.
    can you help me?

2. Borderer Senior Member

Scottish Borders
    English (UK)
    I think it is to do with the number of syllables. I think that up to 2 syllables is okay - slow, slower, but more than three you use more... eg. you couldn't say difficulter, but more difficult.

Actually, I would say happy - happier, but friendly - more friendly...
    Now I'm confused - any help out there??? :confused: :eek:

3. tia_tula Senior Member

Germany
    Spanish, Spain
    the thing is: happy is an adjective... friendly is an adverb.
    ¿o no?
    !!!!!
    slow adjective
    slowly adverb
    RIGHT?

My question is:
    should we treat adverbs the same way we treat adjectives when comparing? same rules?

4. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Creo que no.
    Creo que siempre hay que poner more y the most. Por lo menos los que derivan de adjetivos o sustantivos...

happy - happily - more/the most happily
    friend - friendly - more /the most friendly

excepto los irregulares, claro:

well-better-the best

5. Antpax

Antpax Ex-Moderador

Madrid
    Spanish Spain
    I think that as a general rule adverbs finishing in "ly" make the comparative with "more", so friendly--> more friendly, slowly-->more slowly. But, I suppose there will exeptions.

6. CatStar Senior Member

Madrid
    English, Ireland
    hola foreros,

I use both of these really, even though thinking about it now friendlier sounds like it could be incorrect because of the whole syllable malarky. But after a quick google search more friendly appears way more than friendlier (852 million hits versus almost 4million hits...big difference!) but friendlier is in my dictionary and vocabulary so I guess it's just that more friendly is more commonly used. :)
    Cat

7. natasha2000

By the way... friend has one syllable, doesn't it?

8. CatStar Senior Member

Madrid
    English, Ireland
    Yes but friendly has two! :)

9. Borderer Senior Member

Scottish Borders
    English (UK)
    Actually, friendly is an adjective, the proper adverbial form is friendlily, although I have never come across it before (I just found it in the dictionary). So it should be, he treated her friendlily (in a friendly way).
    But anyway, I guess you are all right, adverbs are more / the most ...
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking properly.

10. natasha2000

Ok.. Sorry, I thought you were saying that friendly has three syllables. My mistake. Sorry.:)

11. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Adjective - friendlier, or more friendly but some authorities prefer 'friendlier'.
    Adverb - to be correct, you have to use a peripherasis like 'in a friendlier manner'. 'They acted friendlier than us' and 'they acted more friendly than use' are both heard but not standard.

12. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Tía Tula.

You are inquiring about the comparatives (adjectives).
    slow - slowER - slowEST
    Friendly - FriendlIER - FriendlIEST
    fast - fastER - fastEST

Now that you know the correct gramatical term (comparatives) maybe you can look for complementary online information ;)

Saludos,
    LN

Transfering this thread to the Grammar forum.
    LN - Mod.

13. natasha2000

But friendly may be just like other words that have the same form for adjective and adverb, like fast.

I am a fast runner. I run fast (not fastly)!!!

AND... It is changed: fast faster the fastest!!!!

So, in a way, it doesn't matter... Buff. This is more complicate than I thought...:(

14. Borderer Senior Member

Scottish Borders
    English (UK)
  15. tia_tula Senior Member

Germany
    Spanish, Spain
    sorry, but I find this answer not only a bit unpolite but also careless... read again my question if you have a coupe of seconds (the whole thread, if you have some more time...). I know what comparatives are. I know about adjectives and adverbs as well... thank you.
    you might have the authority to move posts around but, who gave you the authority to treat peolpe as if we were all stupid??

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ANSWERS :)!!

16. tia_tula Senior Member

Germany
    Spanish, Spain
    Thanks borderer, but this link does not explain it all. This is about adverbs and friendly although ending with -ly is an adjective.
    I guess that is were the whole confusion comes from.

slowly (ADVERB), more slowly, but!
    friendly (ADJECTIVE), friendlier

am I right? :)

17. mhp Senior Member

American English
    I agree with this. In fact, if teddy had not written this, I would have. ;)
    I also add that in AmE it is acceptable to use friendly both as an adverb and as a noun.

18. doodaley New Member

English - American
    Yes, I am happy to help. Unfortunately our language is suffering badly. English teachers are allowing their students to use poor grammar when the students should be corrected. As time goes on, people are getting lazy and adding "more" or "most" to many words. You even hear it on TV. To be correct you want to say: friendly, friendlier, friendliest. Slow, slower, slowest are also correct. Leave off "more". There are occasions when more and most do apply, such as: difficult, more difficult, and most difficult.

19. neal41 Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA, English
    There may an example in which 'friendly' is an adverb, but ordinarily it is not an adverb. It is an adjective. In general the rule about the number of syllables predicts what English speakers say, but not always. Some adjectives, like 'friendly' can be done either way. 'Surly' and 'ghastly' come to mind. "John is even more surly/surlier than his father." The Oxford English Grammar says that many disyllabic (two syllables) words (polite, noisy, friendly) can form comparatives and superlatives either way.