More than one way to skin a cat

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nicole0087, Aug 19, 2006.

1. nicole0087 Junior Member

Thank you everyone! I think I can understand them.

However I have a new question. What is the meaning of "There is always more than one way to skin a cat, or so the saying goes.":p
  2. shipwrecked New Member

New York City
    English (US)
    Hi Nicole,

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" is a slightly humorous idiom (or saying) that means there are multiple ways to accomplish something. It means that an issue can be approached in different ways but the final result will be the same.

"He isn't strong enough to take what he wants by force, but if he makes enough friends they will give him what he wants for free. There's more than one way to skin a cat."
  3. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    As shipwrecked said, it's an idiom meaning there is more than one way to accomplish a goal. I tried to find out its origin, but my multiple ways of searching didn't accomplish much ;) .

Here's another source with a little more explanation.
  4. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    When I was a kid I heard a typical Dixie-fried yarn about that phrase. It came from the old slave culture, and was told me by our neighbor Jesse, a white guy who might as well've been black-- he made guitars out of cigar boxes, and unwove windowscreen for the strings.

Anyway, he said sometimes a man would be sent out to shoot a possum, and he'd fail in the task. And yet there'd be a nice carcass on the table that night-- and a young one, none too fat 'n greazy.

One of the kids who'd met him on the road and walked home with him knew he'd come up empty that day, and after dinner he approached the man with a questioning look on his face. All he got was a wink and a comment, "they's more'n one way to skin a possum."

The clue to the mystery of what happened is contained in the way the expression changed, once more literal-minded people got aholt of the story.
  5. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I had suspected something like that.
    Thanks for the information.

6. nicole0087 Junior Member

Thank you all! I got the meaning:D

Thank you for Foxfirebrand's story. But it is a little difficult for me to understand the abbreviation in your story. I need learn more!:)

And Eutychus is humerous...:eek: