more than welcome

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rusita preciosa, Sep 30, 2009.

1. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I received an invitation in English that read:
    “You are more than welcome to attend… NNN event
    Time…
    Address…
    Please RSVP…”
    (written by a native speaker of Spanish where más que=more than is used much more often than in English)

The initial sentence seemed odd to me and then I realized that most of the time I hear more than welcome it seems to be followed by but, e.g.
    You are more than welcome to come, but there will be only kids there and you will be bored

My question: do you expect an additional contradictory statement after “you are more than welcome” (as opposed to just "you are welcome")?

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    "You are more than welcome to attend" sounds comical to me in an invitation to an event.

"You are welcome to attend" is unfortunately common: for some reason, people cannot bring themselves to just write "you are invited" or "we cordially invite you."

3. ABBA Stanza Senior Member

Hessen, DE
    English (UK)
    No, not at all. :)

I agree with bibliolept that "more than welcome" would sound a bit "over the top" on a formal invitation. Ironically, one often hears "more than welcome" in exactly those cases where one hasn't received a formal invitation (e.g., "You're more than welcome to join us. Just come along at 10 o'clock on Saturday.").

Cheers,
    Abba

4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    No, me neither. I also agree, though, that it's rather 'gushy' for a formal invitation.

5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It would sound just about right for a byob (bring your own booze) mudwrestling competition, but otherwise I join ewie in finding it a little heavy on the gush.