1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

most frequently used word list

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Lizette12054, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Lizette12054 Junior Member

Delmar, NY
    English/US
    Hello- I just came home from a wonderful language teaching conference. In one of the workshops I learned of a list that is available of the 2400? most frequently used words in French. Does anyone know about this list or where I could get the list? Merci d'avance.

Lizette

2. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
  3. Lizette12054 Junior Member

Delmar, NY
    English/US
    Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering what the source is of the Wikipedia list. It doesn't ring really true for me. Some of the words are repeated and some appear as single letters such as d and then are repeated in caps. I was told that the ministries of education of various countries has these lists. I am distrustful of the Widipedia list since there is no source given. Are there any other sources that anyone knows of?

Lizette

4. Gardefeu Senior Member

x
    x
    A most entertaining list, though, this Wikipedia thing!
    I strongly advise anyone with a sense of humour to have a look!
    You'll find that, out of the 2000 most frequent words in the French languague Belgique gets a remarkable 93rd place, and BEF an even more spectacular 94th (for Belgian Francs, presumably!). Compare to jardin's rather disappointing 1519th (keep trying!) or Grande-Bretagne's rather shameful 1063rd (tsk! tsk!). Talking of Belgium, Namur gets an unexpected 1522th position. One of the most beautiful is: Delhaize, number 1553, not so bad for a word no one has ever heard...
    And guess which word is 2000th? Incredible!
    It's Royale! :D

A [good?] omen for 2007, perhaps?

5. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    I found a link, but it's a dictionary rather than a list: DAFLES dictionnaire d’apprentissage en ligne qui donne une description minutieuse des 6500 mots les plus fréquents du français général.http://www.kuleuven.be/ilt/blf/

6. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France

C'est le nom d'une chaîne de supermarchés belges ! :D

7. Lizette12054 Junior Member

Delmar, NY
    English/US
    6,500 is way too many. I am writing curriculum. We want to be sure to include the MOST frequently used words in our curriculum, not the obscure or erudite ones. I would really appreciate any help with this. There are also several other teachers who are interested.

Mille mercis.

Lizette

8. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
  9. zaby

zaby Senior Member

Voilà une liste beaucoup plus réaliste !
    (n'en déplaise à nos amis belges ;))

10. Lizette12054 Junior Member

Delmar, NY
    English/US
    Aupick-

Merci! C'est exactement ce que je cherchais. Je vous remercie mille fois!

Lizette