1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

moving on in my mind to my other capacities

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ebihaghi, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ebihaghi New Member

persian
    Hi everybody,
    Please help me understand this sentence from the story "Homer & Langley" written by: E.L. Doctorow.

...but it was lucky this happened to me when I was so young with no idea of being disabled, moving on in my mind to my other capacities like my exceptional hearing, which i trained to a degree of alertness that was almost visual....

The narrator is a man that had lost his sight in his late teens.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    It's a pity you didn't give us the whole sentence, Ebihaghi. I would have liked to know what was moving.

Here it is: Of course I was sad too, but it was lucky this happened to me when I was so young with no idea of being disabled, moving on in my mind to my other capacities like my exceptional hearing, which I trained to a degree of alertness that was almost visual. (Source) I'm still not clear what is moving; I suppose it must be "I", though the meaning suggests that what moves is his sense of sight.

I think the meaning is clear: he's saying that the fact that he lost his sight when he was so young meant that he could train himself to develop his other senses, particularly his hearing, to exceptional sharpness, and this must have, in part, compensated for the loss of his sight. The other capacities are his other senses, the other things he could do.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Here, to move on is a semi-figurative meaning of the literal, to move on - to leave one place for another.

to move on = to progress; to ignore/leave behind the previous incident/topic and address the next.

to move on in ones mind - to ignore/leave behind the previous incident/topic and start thinking about [how to address] the next.

A: "We have discussed finances for an hour now and we are clear on what is needed, so, moving on, the next issue is overseas sales... any suggestions?"

4. ebihaghi New Member

persian
    Thanks a lot...is understood now!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012