Mr, Miss, Ms, Mrs next to the name below the signature

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Karen123456, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Karen123456 Senior Member

Malaysia English
    Is it OK to write Mr ABC below the signature in a letter or end an email with Mr ABC?

Is it OK to write Miss/Mrs next to a woman's name below the signature in a letter or an email?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    1. If it's the name of the person sending the missive.
    2. If so and that's the preference of the sender.
    3. If the courtesy title is appropriate to the sender.
    And finally
    4. If the sender is female.

3. Yes, it is.

Under your signature, say Karen Upminster you could write KAREN UPMINSTER (Mrs) or (Miss) or (Ms).

In an email, of course, you don't sign your name, just type it. You can add one of the titles above if you wish.

Rover

4. Below my own signature I always write KEVIN ECCLES or K ECCLES (Mr).

(Not my real name.)

Rover

5. Karen123456 Senior Member

Malaysia English
    Thanks to both you.

6. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    The answer is precisely the same as those to your question about female courtesy titles except for the gender thereof.

7. Karen123456 Senior Member

Malaysia English
    Thanks, Sdgraham.

8. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I would never use any honorific either before or after my signature to an e-mail or a letter; I believe such titles are properly reserved for addressing others.

9. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    The main purpose of adding this to one's name below the signature is to guide the reader in addressing a reply properly.

For example, if one is named Robin, Leslie, or any of the other names that can belong to either men or women, one might add (Mr.) after one's name so that the recipient can write to "Mr. Robin Smith" rather than "Ms., Miss, or Mrs. Robin Smith" as the case may be.

The same would apply if one has a name that is generally used for the other sex. News correspondent Hank Phillipi Ryan (a woman) comes to mind, as does the Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue."

This would also apply if the letter is signed with initials rather than a full name.

Another reason might be to call attention to a doctoral degree. Again, the reason is to permit a reader to address a reply properly to "Dr. Egmont" rather than "Mr. Egmont" - though a bit of pride might figure into it as well. In that case, though, I'd probably write "Egmont, Ph.D." under my name rather than "Dr. Egmont" or "Egmont (Dr.)."

In military correspondence, I think it's the practice to indicate one's rank before the name, though the format varies. Something along the lines of "Capt. Egmont," or "Egmont, Captain, USN" is expected. Here, it's not so much a case of guiding the reader in a reply as it is to clarify where the reader stands relative to the writer in the chain of command.

As for titles of nobility, religious titles, etc., etc. - I don't know!

10. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I could swear I saw this same question in another recent thread. Maybe I've imagined it. In any event: I would never use an honorific with a signature. In my opinion, such titles are properly reserved for addresses to others.

11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Yes, but this is not a case of using the honorific as part of the name:
    Ms Karen Upminster << Not good.

It is, or used to be, common practice for women to close a letter as Karen and Rover have indicated:
    Karen Upminster (Ms) << Good.

It is, or was, a courtesy to the recipient who then knows how to address the reply.

12. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    They normally are, but a respondent is put at a tremendous disadvantage when receiving a message signed with initials or a name that is sexually ambiguous.

In business, I always found it a very helpful courtesy iof someone writing to me, in cases where sex wasn't obvious, would provide a clue so that a proper honorific could be used in a reply.

13. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    For many years, in the rare instances when I've needed to address someone on business whose gender was for some reason unknown to me, I (and many of my colleagues, among whom this question has been discussed) have simply used the person's full name, e.g., "Dear Lee Smith:" or "Dear U.R. Smith:".

14. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I sometimes receive email messages from people with, say, Chinese names where the gender is not obvious. I like the traditional way of indicating the title in brackets after the name.

Traditionally, if the title was not included, it was assumed that the appropriate title was Mr. These days, we cannot make that assumption.

In the absence of a title provided, and I needed to write to this person, I tend to write

Parla (above) gives another way of getting around the difficulty.