MSA: بحري (not the nisba form)

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by The_Wanderer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. The_Wanderer Junior Member

Hebrew
    Hi all,

I have a question that requests your expertise.
    I recently came upon the following fragment: التهديد بحري شن الحرب على الفئة المتطرفة and I am a bit confused about the word بحري here. I am 100% sure it is not BAHRI and that it has nothing to do with anything "marine", and so I decided to try and look at it as if the ب goes with التهديد, which is pretty common, and then I am left with حري. I looked it up in the dictionary and found the form, but I could not think of any way to translate this structure into English. I am not even sure what the writer wanted to say...

Any suggestions? Any kind of explanation will be much appreciated. This structure is pretty hard to search for in Google, so no help on that corner.

Thanks.

2. Pospana Junior Member

Serbian
    An entry from Wehr's dictionary: بالحَرَى means "hardly, barely", it works well with the sentence but the form is pretty different, unless it is another case of alif maksura being casually replaced with a ي in writing, but then again, the definite article is missing, too...

Just my two cents, I too would like to see what the experts have to say :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Could you give is the source of this fragment? This looks like a typo to me.

4. The_Wanderer Junior Member

Hebrew
    First of all, thanks for the replies thus far.

Secondly, unfortunately I cannot give the source at the moment. However, the idea of a typo has not occurred to me, and I think it's a good direction. I'll try to take it from there.

I apologize for not being able to share my thoughts with you, because it concerns the rest of text, but the lesson is clear - when you cannot think of any logical meaning (after running through every dictionary and website available), try typos!

Thanks a lot!