mucky pup

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Apr 17, 2014.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    This phrase is very common & refers to a dirty person. It is an affectionate use and usually applied to a child or a toddler. E.g."Look at the state of your clothes, you mucky pup! You've been rolling around in the dirt with Billy again, haven't you?" It can also be used when a child has been eating in a messy way. E.g. "What are you doing with your rice yogurt, you mucky pup!"

2. adelan Senior Member

Czech Republic
    Turkish
    If you need a Turkish translation it would be "seni yaramaz" I guess.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks, Adelan. Doesn't yaramaz mean 'naughty' not 'dirty'? Taking your cue is surely it should be seni pasaklı?

4. adelan Senior Member

Czech Republic
    Turkish
    If you say "naughty boy" we will imagine a babyboy. If we translate "naughty" into Turkish, it is "yaramaz" however it is not prefectly true. Yaramaz (adjective) and yaramazlık (noun) is generally used for the babies and children below some age. We never say "pasaklı" to a baby/toddler.

On the other hand, "yaramazlık" has some slang meaning for adults which is out of our scope.

5. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    If you look at this picture of what we jokingly would call a mucky pup to a toddler, how would you personally descibe such an infant in Turkish?
    http://www.pbase.com/image/41154428

6. adelan Senior Member

Czech Republic
    Turkish
    Yaramaz. I showed this picture to my friends, they said "yaramaz" like me :) The action the baby made is "yaramazlık" as well.

7. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks very much! Would you say the same to a baby girl?

8. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    How about Afacan?

9. adelan Senior Member

Czech Republic
    Turkish
    Sure. There is no gender for "yaramaz".