1. houstoniana

houstoniana Senior Member

Houston, Tejas
    English
    Me encanta la canción por Los Super Seven, "Me voy pa'l Pueblo"...sé que es una canción versionada pero no conozco la original.

"Mira que bonito y sabroso bailan el mambo los Mexicanos / mueven la cintura y los hombros igualito que los Cubanos..."

¿Qué significa "mueven la cintura"? ¿Es tan sencillo como "they move their waists and shoulders"? No es tan poética como la original...

gracias por la ayudita. :)

2. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I've noticed that the use of "cintura" seems to be more general in Spanish than in English. It's not just "waist" but the whole middle of the body, mid-back down to hips. I've heard people say "me duele la cintura," referring to lower back pain. Also, in a Shakira song she says "te regalo mi cintura" and at first I was like, "huh?" but now it seems to me she meant something like "my (sexy) middle" ... what do the natives think?

3. lamaga81 Senior Member

DIACAAAA....!!!
    ARGENTINIAN SPANISH
    both are right. There's nothing poetic about that. It's the name of lower back and stomach area. hope this helps!

4. lamaga81 Senior Member

DIACAAAA....!!!
    ARGENTINIAN SPANISH
    Oh, about Shakira, maybe her boyfriend told her he likes this part of her body, so... And hey, congratulations! you understood Shakira singing?? She has a very bad "modulation" (I couldn't find another word, is this correct?) Please, correct me any mistake

5. houstoniana

houstoniana Senior Member

Houston, Tejas
    English
    gracias a los dos. tienes razón, lamaga, ningún es muy poético si significa mas o menos "el abdomen"; posible la razón es que cualquiera frase cantada por aquel grupo me encante tanto. ¡chau!

6. Wera_Tol New Member

Mexico, Toluca
    Mexican Spanish
    Pues es literalmente mover la cintura, aunque ese tipo de frases como "mueve la cinturita" se refiere a que la persona baile con mucho animo... por eso la canción dice: "mira que sabroso baila". Bailar con sabor... o sea con bamboleo, con movimiento cadencioso.

I hope this helps a little.

7. starlingmaximilian Junior Member

Spanish (argentine)
    Do you know the measures of a model? 90-60-90 right? well, the 60 is the measure of the "cintura".

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I always heard it was 36-24-36
    XD

9. lamaga81 Senior Member

DIACAAAA....!!!
    ARGENTINIAN SPANISH
    we use metric system (this is correct?) while you use inch. ( 1 centímetro= 2.54 pulgadas)

10. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    Regresando al tema: estoy de acuerdo "mover la cintura y los hombros es la manera como bailan..

11. starlingmaximilian Junior Member

Spanish (argentine)
    Hahahaha that's right we spanish speakers use centimeters, and english speakers use inchs :)
    Yes, the song is talking about the way they dance, and about shakira... the waist is a very sexy part of the female body, the waist give the woman the shape of a guitar making her very sexy, at least on latin american eyes ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2009