multiple choice question with more than one correct answer?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by easychen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. easychen Senior Member

For a multiple choice question, only one out of several choices is correct and supposed to pick. Now, what I want to ask is that when a question has several choices, and more than one choice (e.g. two or more) is correct and all the correct ones are required to pick, what do you call this kind of question?

Many thanks
  2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    It's still "multiple choice", easychen. There are multiple choices and you have to pick the right ones.
  3. easychen Senior Member

Hi,Dimcl.I think it's rather confusing.Now, if I take an exam with these multiple choice questions, how am I supposed to tell which is which?
  4. vector313

vector313 Junior Member

Manta, Ecuador
    English -United States
    Normally the question will state something like (Choose all that apply) when there are more than one correct answer. Also, for some reason, I usually notice that multiple choice questions with only one answer will have circles to fill in on the answers. However, the questions with more than one correct answer will have BOXES instead of CIRCLES.
  5. easychen Senior Member

Hi, vector! Thank you so much. And it occurs to me that questions with more than one correct answer might be uncommon in the U.S and other English-speaking countries.What do you say?
  6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    We are moving away from a language question to one of test design.

When an exercise has only one "correct" answer the instructions tell the reader to
    mark only one answer. When more than one answer is possible, the instructions
    tell the reader to mark all those that are correct. As Dimcl said clearly, both varieties
    are called multiple choice questions.
  7. easychen Senior Member

Hi, cuchu! To me, it's still a language question. What I'd like to point out is that whenever "multiple-choice questions" came up in a converesation (between a native English speaker and me), native English speakers had invariably taken it as "a question with only one correct answer". Such being the case, I speculate that using questions with more than one answer is seldom done in English-speaking countries,and wonder if there is a set phrase for this kind of question to tell from each other.:)
  8. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Since both Cuchu and I indicated that there isn't, I'm not sure what answer we can give you, easychen...:confused:
  9. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I'll add my voice to those of Dimcl and Cuchu. The multiple choice questions I have seen come with instructions. They may say "Choose the correct answer" and they may say "Choose the correct answers". There is no difference in what the questions themselves are called.

I recently participated in an on-line survey in American English. Some of the questions ended "Check one" and others "Check all that apply". They were all mulitple choice questions. It is more usual for multiple choice questions on tests to have only one answer, but that is not mandated by the term.

Don't really know how to make it any clearer. :)
  10. easychen Senior Member

Thank you very much everyone, for your painstaking efforts!

P.S. In Chinese, you know, there are surely words for these different kinds of questions,and that's why I was splitting the hairs!