mum, dad / mother, father: who comes first generally?

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by DearPrudence, Aug 4, 2011.

1. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hello everyone

Please don’t think I’m sexist or anything but I’m merely stating a fact.
    In French, in general, the order when we mention our parents is:
    dad and mum
    "mon père et ma mère" (my father and my mother)
    "papa, maman, j’ai quelque chose à vous dire" (dad(dy), mum(my), I have something to tell you).

I think in English it sounds more "natural" to put "mum" first.
    What is the most common order in other languages?

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Hello

In Turkish, it's reversed.

Mom = anne
    Dad = baba

"Anne, baba, size bir şey söyleyeceğim" (mom, dad, I'll tell you something).

The reason is clear: ' Anne - Baba ' is much easier to pronunce then the reversed ' Baba - Anne ' because of the two vowels coming together.

Plus, "babaanne" means paternal grandmother. Although it's pronunced with single a - again due to two vowels.

3. inter1908 Senior Member

Zulu
    I think in Polish there's no difference. It could be both: ojciec i matka (father and mother), and matka i ojciec (mother and father). Both versions are equal, although the first one is a bit more common (as far as I know).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Hmm... I had to really think about that one...

I think in Russian it is usually отец и мать /otets i mat'/ (father and mother), but мама и папа /mama i papa/ (mom and dad)

5. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    In Spanish it can be both. But I have heard quite often first mother and then father. Mi mamá y mi papá.

6. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

In Chinese, traditionally, father should come first, since he is supposed to be "the master of the family".
    The Chinese word for "parents" (父母) is a combination of "father" (父) and "mother" (母), and "father" is at the front.

7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Likewise here in Greece:
    «Μητέρα και πατέρας» (mi'tera ce pa'teras)--> mother and father
    «Μάννα*/μαμμά* και μπαμπάς» ('mana/ma'ma ce ba'mbas)--> mum/mom and dad

*«Μάννα» ('mana, f.) and «μαμμά» (ma'ma, f.) are informal/affectionate names for mother, from the Classical «μαμμία» (mă'mmīă, f.)--> affectionate word for mother

8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I would say that pai e mãe (father and mother) is the usual order of the phrase.

9. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    In Bulgarian mother is usually first no matter if mum & dad (мама и татко/тате) or mother and father (майка и баща) are meant.

10. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Swedish: in both cases of "mor och far" and "mamma och pappa" it's much more common with mother/mum before father/dad.

11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian

anyu, apu [mum, dad]

12. Halfdan Junior Member

Canadian English
    This is true for English. It just seems to flow better.

13. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew it depends on age of the speaker, and the age of the the parents (though its not a rule, just something that happens so.)

14. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    In Hindi, mother comes first. "maataa-pitaa" meaning "mother-father". Never "pitaa-maataa".

15. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    In the Czechlands we traditionally hold mothers in higher esteem. Thus mother comes first (Milá maminko, milý tatínku, ... = Dear mum, dear dad, I have to tell you that ...).
    However in official documents father traditionally comes first, of course.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  16. ACQM

ACQM forera que modera

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    I agree when using the family forms "mamá y papá" (mum and dad) but it is not so clear when using the neutral words "padre y madre" (father and mother), I think.

17. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    I agree that, in English, in almost all informal situations, the order is usually ‘Mum and Dad’, e.g. ‘ “Mum and Dad” love to mind the grandchildren whenever they can’.

However, I would go so far as to say it is generally reversed in formality, for instance:- ‘ Both “father and mother” have made their wills, and decided to sell their home’.

(At least, this is the way people of my generation tend to speak, raised just after WW II; the convention might be less so amongst the young to-day or in America vs the UK).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  18. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    There is one unique Hungarian idiom "Apád, anyád idejöjjön!" and strangely enough in that case the word order is father-mother....

19. mundiya Senior Member

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    In Hindi, besides "maataa-pitaa" we also have "maaN-baap", with both meaning "mother (and) father".