1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Dulce Alheli New Member

Gujurati
    I would like to know.. When to use el muro and when to use la pared. both means Wall..
    if i have to translate this sentence.
    The wall of my house is blue.
    El muro(la pared) de mi casa es azul
    el muro(la pared) de mi casa esta azul

2. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    I would use 'ser' here since it is a description unless, for some reason, you are wanting to convey the idea that it is only blue for a limited period of time. For me, I use 'pared' more often to mean the wall of a house and 'muro' to mean a wall that is not part of a house. (i.e. you always use 'muro' for the Berlin Wall, don't you?) I suppose a native can confirm.

3. payita

payita Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Indeed they both mean 'wall', but to me they mean different kinds of walls:
    "Pared" means wall in a building or a house, whereas "Muro" normally refers to a larger kind of wall, for instance we call the 'Berlin Wall' "El muro de Berlín". A "muro" is usually taller and wider.
    Hope I made myself clear!

4. Dulce Alheli New Member

Gujurati
    Thanks jack y payita:) things are clear for me:)

5. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    Hello all.
    From a more technical point of view and to be precise:
    Muro is a thick wall that has bearing or retaining capacity either belonging to a building structure or isolated but always of some importance.
    Pared is, so to speak, a minor wall in terms of importance, usually for divisions between rooms, with no bearing or retaining capacity therefore its thickness is not as wide as in the muro's case.